Mixed Bag

Started out as normal at 09.00 and drove to a farm that had told us on Friday that the seeded barley was covered in Pigeon. As we arrived the field was covered with corvids but we are aware that it is shot by others so DB decided to walk the perimeter of the field and watch the reaction of the birds. As he did he shot three jackdaws and the birds left the field. When he returned to the Disco we had a coffee and waited thirty minutes nothing returned, so we gave it a miss. We drove to another farm who had text me to say they had drilled three fields, again nothing down or flighting. Bunny_Blaster was on a local farm and we thought that the birds alternate between them. I gave him a call and the birds had left his farm. We drove out to a field of peas to find zero pigeon, made our way back and looked at all out permissions again. 

As we passed one farm we did notice a flightline of pigeons along the contours of a small river, this field had a good amount of clover which also had sheep with lambs in it. It also had corvids in with the sheep so we watched it for thirty minutes and the passage of both was sporadic but continuous. We were concened that the farmer may not want us to shoot over his sheep and lambs but he hates corvids and what they do so the question was can we shoot the corvids over your sheep??. A straight yes was the reply. So back to the field, we watched it again to see the best place to set up with the wind ,sun etc. We decide to set up on the hedgeline between both fields so we could decoy the sheep field and the other clover field. We have a well practiced method of setting up I build the hide while DB sets out the twelve pigeon and three crow decoys then we tidy up and shoot. With the disruption to the field kept to a minimum. It was now getting on and we were ready for shooting at 15.00.

The first birds to return were the corvids and despatched, this shooting disturbed the pigeons and spooked a good number out of the trees along the stream, this inturn presented us with a continuous  shots of both birds. We did encounter small lulls which allowed us to pick up and increase decoys laid out . We shot till 19.00 with the birds still coming but it started to rian and we called it a day ending with sixtyfive corvids and eighty pigeon which was more that we thought we would get for the day. 

Ive just ate my tea at 21.00 and managed to tear myself away from the Eurovision and force myself to write this detailed report!!!!!! 

100_3125.jpg

80 Pigeons and 65 Corvids