fish walking stick.

fatchap

I was asked to make a stick for a chap who was into his fishing, trout fishing in particular.

After a bit of practice.....well a lot of practice and some swearing , I finally made a simple fly which I intended to embed in the antler. Some brass and some horn end caps and a hazel shank later, this is the result, I hope he will be happy with it.

I'm not a great stick maker I just go with what is working for me. Hoping the professional stick makers on here might have a look and tell me what they think..twisty3.JPG.0b304ab17fab12c5e5aa1ece8ccd27d8.JPGtwisty2.JPG.83c890b5c845667651d5d5427495220e.JPG

Thanks For looking.

5 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I was asked to make a stick for a chap who was into his fishing, trout fishing in particular.

After a bit of practice.....well a lot of practice and some swearing , I finally made a simple fly which I intended to embed in the antler. Some brass and some horn end caps and a hazel shank later, this is the result, I hope he will be happy with it.

I'm not a great stick maker I just go with what is working for me. Hoping the professional stick makers on here might have a look and tell me what they think..twisty3.JPG.0b304ab17fab12c5e5aa1ece8ccd27d8.JPGtwisty2.JPG.83c890b5c845667651d5d5427495220e.JPG

Thanks For looking.

hello, looks a fine stick to me fatchap:good: 

49 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Can't fault that at all....but personally would have chosen a different fly ..... if your not a fly fisherman you would not understand that quip:yes::lol:

hello, i am sure fatchap could change if the buyer wishes, as a long life trout fisherman i do love the natural browns river may fly, still waters are a different matter and  my C and C fly works well?? 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

did you set the fly in using acrylic ?

I used these plastic sheets I got from The Stickman Site. I've tried using resin and it just makes a mess. These sheets you cut to size and set in using whatever glue you prefer, then sand it level, You look at it and think that will never polish out but, some fine grade vornax on the buffing wheel brings it back crystal clear. The fly is behind it sitting in some milliput (great stuff, got me out of trouble on numerous occasions)

Sorry about the fly chaps, What I know about fly fishing can be written on the back of a stamp with a four inch emulsion brush. I just followed the you tube video after buying s simple fly tying kit.

Edited by fatchap

17 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I used these plastic sheets I got from The Stickman Site. I've tried using resin and it just makes a mess. These sheets you cut to size and set in using whatever glue you prefer, then sand it level, You look at it and think that will never polish out but, some fine grade vornax on the buffing wheel brings it back crystal clear. The fly is behind it sitting in some milliput (great stuff, got me out of trouble on numerous occasions)

Sorry about the fly chaps, What I know about fly fishing can be written on the back of a stamp with a four inch emulsion brush. I just followed the you tube video after buying s simple fly tying kit.

hello, you actually made the fly as well ??  top marks :good:,  

Hello Fatchap,

I too have just tried my hand at stick making. Can I ask whether you shaped the antler where it goes into the brass collar only it looks better than the way that I've just tried where it butts up to it ? Also, did you cut the plastic sheet into a round shape by just filing and polishing. I've yet to use the square sheets from the stick man, but have found his website really good and the service excellent. Your fisherman friend will be delighted, I'm sure. 

As said above, it is very addictive. I'm on my 4th one now and cannot wait to get back out in the shed. I also realise that I should have cut more sticks last winter.

OB

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Hello Fatchap,

I too have just tried my hand at stick making. Can I ask whether you shaped the antler where it goes into the brass collar only it looks better than the way that I've just tried where it butts up to it ? Also, did you cut the plastic sheet into a round shape by just filing and polishing. I've yet to use the square sheets from the stick man, but have found his website really good and the service excellent. Your fisherman friend will be delighted, I'm sure. 

As said above, it is very addictive. I'm on my 4th one now and cannot wait to get back out in the shed. I also realise that I should have cut more sticks last winter.

OB

Hello old boggy, Yes I shaped the antler at the bottom so it fits inside the lip of the brass collar. Its a bit hit and miss as obviously antler being a naturally occurring product, its never perfectly round and the edge may be thicker on one side so when you take out the marrow to facilitate the stick it wont go in equal and you may see daylight at the join so a brass collar is quite forgiving and makes up for natures randomness.

The plastic I roughed out on the bandsaw then filed it bit by bit offering it up to the hole after each file. too much off and you basically have had it and need to cut a new piece.  then using a dremel with small sanding band about a P80 shaped it .to the contours of the antler and then onto the buffing wheel with vornax to polish it up like glass. Try to get a bit of a polish on the edges of the disc as when you set it in the antler after polishing you can see the rough edges through the front, it looks nasty. Also use a 2 pk epoxy that cure clear, Gorilla glue cures slightly yellow again you can see it through the plastic.

Hope this helps.

Edited by fatchap

My comment regarding the choice of fly was in no way meant to be derogatory.  As said, all the fly fishermen I have know have been finicky about their favorite fly, worse than discussions over the best cartridge.  It is an exceptionally pretty stick ..................  BUT, I would have preferred a Teal, Blue and Silver ;)

50 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My comment regarding the choice of fly was in no way meant to be derogatory.  As said, all the fly fishermen I have know have been finicky about their favorite fly, worse than discussions over the best cartridge.  It is an exceptionally pretty stick ..................  BUT, I would have preferred a Teal, Blue and Silver ;)

Mate, I have no idea about fly fishing only that J.R Hartley invented it back in the 80's.:whistling: So I just made a fly as best I could from the kit I bought and following a you tube video.. In the end it sort of looked right so before I decided I wasnt happy with it I stuck it in milliput and encased it in plastic forever. 

Didn't take your comment to be derogatory at all. kind of knew what you was implying.:good:

11 hours ago, fatchap said:

Hello old boggy, Yes I shaped the antler at the bottom so it fits inside the lip of the brass collar. Its a bit hit and miss as obviously antler being a naturally occurring product, its never perfectly round and the edge may be thicker on one side so when you take out the marrow to facilitate the stick it wont go in equal and you may see daylight at the join so a brass collar is quite forgiving and makes up for natures randomness.

The plastic I roughed out on the bandsaw then filed it bit by bit offering it up to the hole after each file. too much off and you basically have had it and need to cut a new piece.  then using a dremel with small sanding band about a P80 shaped it .to the contours of the antler and then onto the buffing wheel with vornax to polish it up like glass. Try to get a bit of a polish on the edges of the disc as when you set it in the antler after polishing you can see the rough edges through the front, it looks nasty. Also use a 2 pk epoxy that cure clear, Gorilla glue cures slightly yellow again you can see it through the plastic.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for that.

I have lots to learn but am still learning and am willing. I have yet to fully master the polishing of the horn caps etc as you have obviously done and yours look great.

The jointing of the antler and stick I do with a section of studding but drill out some of the marrow as you say, and fill with epoxy glue. As said, previously I've butted up the antler to the collar, so next time will shape it into it as it looks far better.

Thanks for your detailed reply,

OB

Its best to get rid of as much marrow as possible as its not very strong. Carbon tetra chloride will stabilize it, But its dodgy stuff, fume wise and it also causes all sorts of skin problems.

I  make a "peg" at the top of the stick the same size as the hole you have made in the antler after you have removed the marrow to about 1 inch deep and then obviously make your peg the same length. Make the peg a couple of thou thicker so its a nice snug fit, always dry fit it first with and without the collar, checking for daylight at the join. If its not marrying up properly, you can sand the peg or the peg base till everything fits. Obviously working  with antler  nothing is ever straight and you have to have a bit of whittle at it. Sometimes you just cant get it bob on and thats where the collar comes helps the final product. When your doing your dry fit, and its all marrying up ok mark the bottom of the antler and stick where they meet as when you glue up, bring these two marks together you know its the position of the best fit.

I have found the peg method of fitting is surprisingly stronger than the threaded bar. The bar  wont break but over time becomes loose with use as the marrow hardens and becomes brittle. A wood to antler join is better :good: 

Edited by fatchap

14 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

This is a good resin for use on stick making, from Hobbycraft stores

image.jpeg

I have used some similar stuff before with greatly varying results. 0ne time I must have got the mix ratio spot on as it cured rock hard. Other times I've ended up with gloop,to putty. I do prefer the embedding perspex you can buy its a lot simpler to use.

By the way nice stick and fly from earlier post. Is it a wading stick?

You said horn was difficult to get hold of, try.. www.highlandhorn.co.uk

Edited by fatchap

Hi, the stick with a fly is not as long as a wading stick but is a twisted hazel shank. I have made longer ones and use mostly blackthorn

This is a photo for "old boggy" and is an idea of using a upside down bee I'd the diameter is to big

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Hi, the stick with a fly is not as long as a wading stick but is a twisted hazel shank. I have made longer ones and use mostly blackthorn

This is a photo for "old boggy" and is an idea of using a upside down bee I'd the diameter is to big

image.jpeg

Hi Stimo,

That`s an excellent idea for the bit of antler that I currently have. Many thanks,

OB