Rape still producing small numbers

While waiting for the pea drilling to start I decided to have a drive around the rape fields to see if there was any movement, first 2 or 3 locations the rape had grown well and bald patches were few and far between,

On the last area, 2 large fields running along the river opposite a small wooded area there were 2 areas attracting attention, one small hole about 30 yards across , so last Monday I set up on the edge of the field with just a dozen decoys and a magnet out in the whole, birds came well for around 3 hours and I managed to pick up 17.

Thursday early morning I went again to the same area but this time a larger area of around 2 acres in the corner of the field had been so badly damaged it had virtually no growth and no flower on it, it was a totally different day with cloud, and a cold wind, I had a busy first 2 hours but it went very quiet after 10am but I picked up 19 and was home in time for lunch, so the freezer is slowly filling up and I am still getting some good sport from the rape, however next week we start on the peas , not my favourite crop to shoot over as over the last 3 years birds showed little interest in either the seed or the growing crop, but fingers crossed the birds will find them while I am there to get some sport and finally fill the freezers.(again) 

Two enjoyable outings no doubt ! Peas are now germinated with us but nothing showing interest,had one afternoon session for 18 after drilling and enjoyed that but hardly any birds about since .It`s been a quiet winter/spring.........

I have found that pigeons haven't left the rape alone in some areas, resulting in some proper bald patches and half decent bags. I had a nice outing last Saturday afternoon for 52, and a little go on another field on Sunday for 28.

I am sure that I will get sport from the rape for perhaps another month.