why cant you buy cartridges loose ?

i was wondering the other day, why are cartridges packed in boxes of 25 ? why not give the option to have a 250 cartridge slab with the cartridges unboxed inside ? it seems a waste of card board to have the individual boxes that literally get lifted out, dumped into my pouch and then thrown away. I can see for game cartridges it makes sense but for clay shells it would be easier to just pack them loose surely ? 

was this tried in the past and abandoned for some reason ? 

Q

42 minutes ago, grahamch said:

I liked joker clay loads in plastic bags of 25, no needcfor expensive printed boxes which are binned

Had quite a few FOB 20 bore cartridges similarly packaged in clear plastic 25`s.Sensible !

The rottys were green and a hell of a good shell on budget money ..... aaahhhh the good old days 

I remember when the only 3” mag I could get were CIL imperial , Remington power pistons and Winchester super xx all in 2s and £9 for 25 

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

25 is odd anyway? 

My cartridge belt holds 24, whether you use a semi or a double barreled gun 25 doesn't divide.... 

That is quite an odd post. Why does it need to divide? In any event if you fire one, or leave one out of the belt it divides by 24, 12, 8, 4, 3, 2 and 1.

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

That is quite an odd post. Why does it need to divide? In any event if you fire one, or leave one out of the belt it divides by 24, 12, 8, 4, 3, 2 and 1.

But on the whole, especially with clays your going to fire 2 anyway, I do agree with the packaging side of it. 

1 hour ago, fister said:

Automated production lines and precise packaging layout to minimise outer box volume would seem fairly obvious?

This. 

25 just fit into the box nicely don't they. 

Edited by Farmboy91

Oh Gentlemen, whilst you may only stack the slabs of 250 up to about 4 high, the manufacturers put them on pallets in much higher stacks. This is only possible due to the 250s being split in to 10 boxes of 25 within the outer box. It is an industry standard that we are all used to and Farmboy91, 25 is a square number, that should give you a clue to the reasons why the established system works so well.

Well I wouldn't personally consider myself cocky and think I could take 25 birds with 25 carts. If you can do that hats off to you cause your clearly a better shot than I am, I'm not embarrassed by a miss lol. Same goes for clays, wouldn't go to do 100 birds with bang on 100 carts as when I went Saturday I had a tt1 that struck but didn't fire. The bag takes around 150 so that's what goes in it. 

Edited by Farmboy91

39 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Must get expensive if your only shooting 1 bird to every 2 shots surely no ones bad enough to need 3!!!!!!!

And with that it's all about your perspective on it int it? I enjoy being outside in the open, bagging the odd pigeon and cleaning the gun after in equal measures. If I come home with a couple of bunnies, the odd pheasant or 2/3 pigeons I will happy, so is the missus because you know the meat has been killed and processed within 200-300 yards of the front door with very little wasted, if I don't bag anything it's no big deal, 2 of the 3 boxes have still been ticked. I certainly won't loose any sleep over the half dozen pigeon selects I've used in the process. 

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

And with that it's all about your perspective on it int it? I enjoy being outside in the open, bagging the odd pigeon and cleaning the gun after in equal measures. If I come home with a couple of bunnies, the odd pheasant or 2/3 pigeons I will happy, so is the missus because you know the meat has been killed and processed within 200-300 yards of the front door with very little wasted, if I don't bag anything it's no big deal, 2 of the 3 boxes have still been ticked. I certainly won't loose any sleep over the half dozen pigeon selects I've used in the process. 

Easy tiger stop taking life to seriously I’m having a laugh.  If I could teach all my clients to better than 1:1 on any shoot in the land I’d be a very happy man and charge a kings ramson for lessons. 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, my first 410 cartridges were bought in a hardware shop around 1965, oh and catapult elastic, made them until i bought the latest ally one , anyone remember the name?????

I reckon you're talking about the original Milbro catapults fella. Ally fork with a tiny pair of circular wooden wedges to fix the square rubber in. I must have had half a dozen of them over the years, and lost a thumbnail more than once until I cottoned on and just gripped the thing in a fist instead of sticking my thumb in the little dent where it seemed obvious that you were meant to put your thumb.

I prefer my home made jobbies these days with wooden forks and tapered Gold Theraband rubbers. They really are frighteningly powerful and ruddy accurate with a bit of practice.