Cordless Strimmer

alan barrett

If Makita do a strimmer it'll probably be fairly good. Several people I know have rechargeable strimmers from DIY shops etc. and they're all pretty useless for anything other than small amounts of light grass. Last year I bought a Parker brand petrol strimmer from Amazon for about £70 and it's excellent. Good performing engine, starts easily and decent 2.4mm line, very happy with it.

I use the Ryobi strimmer with the 18v  4 amp one+ battery. i strim round my garden (about15mins) and the battery still has 3 bars(out of 4) so no problems for me. If you get a makita strimmer to match your battery it should be pretty good.

Edited by seph234

B&D cordless strimmer, bought about 10 years ago, very handy for small jobs, OK if you have several batteries and a fast charger.   Mine takes the older type 18v slide fit batteries, convenient because I have drills and other items that use the same size.    Obviously modern Li-on batteries would be better.

If you need to replace a petrol strimmer, and are in reach of a 240v supply, a mains-powered type might suit (no starting problems).    I’ve recently done a lot of fairly heavy work with a cheap Titan strimmer on a 50m (1.5mm2) extension lead.

My old man has the MacAlister strummer and the lawnmower too! The strimmer does both the rear garden lawn 20x20 edges and strimmed, and side lawn approx 50x30 edged and strimmed with two flower beds and then has enough left to carry on weeding the borders too. The mower does both lawns on one charge also with enough to do the grass outside the property. 

The hedge trimmer is good too. But I prefer the flymo cordless as I can extend the handle to reach. 

• 1 month later...

Latest update. Ridgeons builders merchant have a deal at the moment £50+ vat for a bare unit. So I picked one up at the weekend and tried it tonight. Worked well and lasted  well with  a 5amp battery. They are also sell a hedge trimmer for the same price. 

Edited by alan barrett