Any bankers on here

team tractor

Yes I said bankers.

a week ago I had a woman drive into my van and the repair is £300 . She wrote me a cheque out for £300 and they put it through as £500 .

i spoke to the bank and they said it won’t clear but it has and now I’m questioning what to do next.

ive offered to pay the woman £200 cash but I don’t want the error being corrected and me being left out of pocket . 

The payment slip says £500 and it’s wrong as I personally checked it as she wrote it out .

She really should query it her end at her bank. Your bank may write to you after explaining the error and may hold the £200 and then send it back to her after the banks have looked into it. You can also query it your end too, I would definitely not give her the £200 cash. Let the banks sort it. Info from wife who works for Barclays as personal banker. 

It’s an ‘Inter bank’ problem for them to resolve- do not get involved and certainly do not give the woman any monies directly as in doing so you may be out of pocket as the bank will also, when the error is confirmed, debit your account.

35 minutes ago, JDog said:

Get the repairs done first, pay the bill which may end up more than £300 then send her the balance.

It’s only paint damage on a bumper and have the quote :) but I know what you were thinking.

5 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It’s an ‘Inter bank’ problem for them to resolve- do not get involved and certainly do not give the woman any monies directly as in doing so you may be out of pocket as the bank will also, when the error is confirmed, debit your account.

My thoughts 

18 minutes ago, Jason_ox said:

She really should query it her end at her bank. Your bank may write to you after explaining the error and may hold the £200 and then send it back to her after the banks have looked into it. You can also query it your end too, I would definitely not give her the £200 cash. Let the banks sort it. Info from wife who works for Barclays as personal banker. 

Cheers that’s the info I needed.

8 hours ago, Jaymo said:

+1

Let the bank sort it they did it not you or her ,it,s their cock up .We had our mortgage double diddled two days running by them not the bank and it was sorted p.d.q but on we still had to kick off at them for it to be put right atb