Trying again!

aga man

It has been so long since wrote any sort of report here that it seems I have forgotten how and I made a pigs ear of my earlier attempt.

Suddenly I have a few pigeons to shoot. A farmer asked me to check in on some bare patches in his winter rape last week and i was shocked to find that he wasn't exaggerating and there were quite a lot of birds there.

I only had limited time during the week but I got up there at 4pm on Thursday after work. The stiff breeze was in the wrong direction really but I set up in the crop and had steady sport until 7pm picking 28 pigeons.

Horse paddocks were 80 metres downwind of me so I used the 20b hushpower which didn't bother the horses at all. This was an enjoyable little session, the dogs were essential to collect the slain and wounded from the crop.

IMG_1523.JPG.fa99fa4bf77eac1de22a6281227b0e84.JPGIMG_1524.JPG.9abf9c3d15f8af6d557eb8d5fcd0a18e.JPG                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              On Tuesday the farm that had been trying to drill a very wet field decided that was the day. You can imagine my delight when the farmer told me the field was still spongy in places so he decided to broadcast the seed and harrow it in to minimise the weight of machinery.

I realised it would take the birds a few days to find the seed but I was confident they would as this farm always has good pigeon numbers passing over it. Much to my disappointment the pigeons still haven't really found it any numbers and surprisingly when you walk the field there is very little seed to be found on top.

I chose to shoot the field today as I expect germination of the crop to be very quick at this time of year. My shooting partner Tan whom I had promised a day here could not be contacted as he was busy chasing different kinds of birds!

The day was frustrating as good numbers that came out of the town at 1pm in bunches of 10-20 just sailed on past at a fair height and would not decoy. Odd birds peeled off and decoyed but after trying every trick in the book they would commit properly to my decoys.

I shot from 12pm till 5pm when pigeons began to feed at the opposite end of the field and were not bothered by my shots, and of course every pigeon in the county decoyed to them.

I picked 52 of 56 pigeons and 9 corvids, all of which were shot with steel for a young lady to feed to her hawks.

A new permission texted today to say his spring rape is through so will be looking at that next!

Thanks for reading.

IMG_1522.JPG.d44232b6fc579893b1f67146862ea982.JPGIMG_1521.JPG.a7c90f128bfb5181c6675316984862e2.JPG

Edited by aga man

57 minutes ago, JDog said:

Good man. Shooting on that drilling may be short lived but there should be shooting on that rape for a while longer. As for the spring rape you should have fun next month.

Thanks J, this farm has a better field of winter rape which is 2" tall all over {you know the field}, but he has gas guns on it.

Edited by aga man

Nice write up aga man , I bet on the rape field your dogs enjoyed it as much , if not more than you did ,

On the drilled field it looked like someone from Norfolk have just laid there bag out , your presentation is certainly a contender for , The neatest laid out bag award , only one man who can equal it is , the all weather pigeon controller:lol:

12 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

2 decent days there and I bet more to come soon, did you try the magnet to try and bring the  birds down off the line that was flighting over high ?

Yes mate, tried the first hour with static dead birds on spikes{8 of} and one on a floater. Then put the rotary out which did help a bit but they was not having it moved the pattern several times etc.

They decoyed well for 30 mins at 3pm and I should really have put a few more in the bag but I was a bit rusty:)

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Nice write up aga man , I bet on the rape field your dogs enjoyed it as much , if not more than you did ,

On the drilled field it looked like someone from Norfolk have just laid there bag out , your presentation is certainly a contender for , The neatest laid out bag award , only one man who can equal it is , the all weather pigeon controller:lol:

Your not wrong marsh man the dogs love it. You will notice I only have the young yellow dog today. The older one is getting a bit tired and stiff after a busy afternoon so I am trying to ease him into retirement which is heart wrenching really as he still loves to be out but can barely move on an evening after a real busy session.

P.S I learnt all I know about presentation from looking at those saturday night pictures on this forum:lol:

Great report Aga man! And nice to see you getting some good bags, it’s been a strange year for pigeons so far for sure! Also great that you’ve got an outlet for your birds in this fair county of ours, keep the reports coming now your back on the ‘osse!

long time since I have seen a field broad cast and and then dragged in, the holy grail

Well we did our  twogame strips like that this spring, well the broadcasting bit, not the harrowing, rained as the farmer finished spinning the seed and did not seem to stop for a week...

13 hours ago, Wilksy II said:

Great report Aga man! And nice to see you getting some good bags, it’s been a strange year for pigeons so far for sure! Also great that you’ve got an outlet for your birds in this fair county of ours, keep the reports coming now your back on the ‘osse!

Thanks mate, was that your truck outside a house at Walkington today?

56 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Great report and nice to see you are back out amongst them.

Thanks Clodhopper.

6 hours ago, scolopax said:

long time since I have seen a field broad cast and and then dragged in, the holy grail

A very good chance the last time you saw broadcasting it was more than likely on this farm. You know the ground very well. Close to Hull;)

1 hour ago, Wilksy II said:

Ah! I’m in cave next week, not seen many pigeons around that said I shot two crackers flying over the house with my spirit level! 

Rumour has it that as you are a kitchen fitter you never use a spirit level for work so you might as well try to put it to alternative use.