Nice weekend

muncher

Saturday morning and Motty was not available due to hair tints and a perm ,or something like that. I had a look around and I had only one option a rape field that's been hammered, which I shot two weeks previously for 41. I asked my brother to join me and when we arrived a good amount of pigeons we're already down feeding. We set up with a tree at our backs and the wind coming from our left . I put two dead birds on the rotory and about 8 shell decoys out . The pigeons didn't decoy very well, but several came for a look giving us some very testing shots ,my brother shooting very well ,so well in fact his first miss was on his 18 shot. The more dead birds we put out the better they came ,but at 3 o'clock it rained on us quite hard, so we decided to pack up with 37 in the bag.

Sunday Motty was on the phone and as no rain was forcast his highlights we're safe . We had a recently drilled field to look at so we met up around 11 to find a few feeding, but many on the wing and a strong flighline . We trudged down the field to a low dyke and set up on a headland ,we felt the birds were not really feeding there but we hoped to pull some in due to the amount in the area . We set up the hide in the dyke and put a couple of dead birds on the rotory and a few shell decoys on the drilled field. The wind was coming down the field from our right . A steady stream of pigeons took notice and gave us some overhead and long crossers . I decided to move up the field as several parties were just skirting the decoys . This worked well for a while and Motty was getting some to decoy . The pattern grew and more decoyed  than skirted so I moved back to the hide . Poor old Motty was have a mare and was struggling to hit a cows **** with a cricket bat. I told him his hair looked lovely and to calm down ,his shooting inproved and we just scraped over the ton on the clicker with 103  a crow and a feral.We picked up 94 as we lost some in the rough cover and nettles behind us , all in all a nice weekend.

IMG_20180513_162844532_HDR.jpg

Edited by muncher

1 minute ago, la bala said:

Have you boys been on PCs presentation course. I recognise that field it also has a few bunnies pretending to be lawnmowers, they will be getting a 42gr headache tonight.

Give the rabbits a good whack!

Jules laid those out. I wouldn't have bothered.

3 hours ago, motty said:

Jules laid those out. I wouldn't have bothered.

All this laying the bag out neat and tidy is getting out of hand :lol: , Norfolk folks have there own way of doing things and laying the bag out after a gruelling day pigeon shooting is not one of them , although having said that , I am impressed with the nice neat job Jules have done and I can see if things carry on as they are, the ole Norfolk heap at close of play will soon be a thing of the past. :no:

Excellent weekend , and an enjoyable write up, well done to the M and M team.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

Cracking bag and by the sounds of it you had some great sport. 

It was some great shooting, and often testing. I can't remember shooting as badly as I did for the first hour or so, though. It was almost like I had completely forgotten how to shoot. The lead I was giving looked right, but I really struggled. I got quite angry!

1 hour ago, aga man said:

Well shot guys, some nice plump looking pigeons there.

We did remark on how big some of those birds were.

• 2 weeks later...

I somehow missed this post but I have to say it sounded a great weekend of shooting. The presentation took my breath away, well done Muncher . My form of presentations stems back to my previous angling pictures when people would falsify fish weights and push fish forward to make them seem larger than they are. My presentation allows you to count the total if you wish??

The traditional Norfolk presentation confuses me as historically the main export from Norfolk was I believe " Norfolk Reed" for thatching which is precisely laid out over a frame to make a water tight seal. If it was laid like the Norfolk pigeons it would resemble a " muck heap "

Perhaps the Thatchers moved  inland and left Norfolk to the reed cutters?? That's my theory?