223 or 243?

ChrisPCarter

Go for the .243 mate, a fantastic round and more then adequate for all of the deer species in the UK. As Dekers said it is so easy to get carried away. One of my mates has a custom 6mm PPC and is due his new 6.5/.284 shortly...this is after getting rid of his 6.5 x 47. God only know what he will get next lol 

On 15/05/2018 at 14:19, wymberley said:

OP hasn't mentioned this bit on this topic as yet. Hence the 17 WSM mention:-

"I've seen 17 Hornet mentioned a few times recently but I'm not wanting to start reloading as a few people seem to recommend - I never have time to reload for my small bore shotguns as it is! "

On 15/05/2018 at 15:09, mick miller said:

Cabinet space, money, there can be all sorts of reasons why someone only wants 2 calibres. Perhaps a 6.5 of some type would be an even better choice over 243. 260rem, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5 x (insert what you like here), I'd take any of those over a 308.

P shoots 22 hornet and PWouldn't want any of the 17 rimfires, 17wsm or 17 hmr personally - 22 hornet might be the better choice in this case and if the OPU I'll buy the once fired!

From the punctuation it can be seen that I didn't say the above, the OP is quoted.

Cheers guys I think I’ve made my mind up to get the HMR and 243 as they will do everything I need right now.

if I do ever get round to stalking reds one day and need something bigger I can spend the money then. It’s daft complicating things when I may never need it. 

5 hours ago, ChrisPCarter said:

Cheers guys I think I’ve made my mind up to get the HMR and 243 as they will do everything I need right now.

if I do ever get round to stalking reds one day and need something bigger I can spend the money then. It’s daft complicating things when I may never need it. 

The .243 is ALL deer legal in the UK, (and perfectly capable of stopping all deer) but some estates prefer/require larger!