Burnies gonna get ya

GingerCat

That's what the wife said as I left earlier, she was waving some sun screen at me out the window as I drove off, real pigeon shooters don't need such 3rd world things I told myself as I pulled away. 

I had spied a field of beans that JDog and  I shot previously. Neither of my shooting buddies were able to join me so I went solo.  I had left this field in the hope that the adjoining field would be drilled a bit later, it was drilled the following day apparently and today the barley is shooting up. Never mind. The beans although an inch tall were still attracting birds, about 300 along the hedge line in the most inaccessible and farthest  part of the field they could find on this hot cloudless day. 

I couldn't spot a line in to them but the birds wanted to be there and I had no where else to be so I decided to travel light and give it a go. I took 6 fuds a net, poles, gun and carts. I set up along some headland and popped out the birds 25 yards in front. The wind was in my face slightly and I figured the birds would come mostly from a large wood 400 yards or more behind. I didn't wait long, the first pair came straight down the field and I missed cleanly as they caught me off guard. Cursing myself I reloaded and sat down. A minute later another pair came from the right, I dropped them both just within the decoys. I was slightly happier with myself, particularly as I was shooting my o/u which I haven't used much. 

The rest came from every which why they liked and couldn't give a fig about the wind. What they all did though was turn into the decoys and that was so pleasing. Some came in high and dropped like stones into the pattern, others came from behind and looped round into the wind. I was a bit picky with my shots and didn't shoot any past 30 yards but then I didn't need to, they wanted to be there.  They were still coming as I packed up but the wife had other jobs for me so the few hours out were all I could squeeze in today.

In all I shot 3 more pairs for the 21 picked pigeons and 2 rooks and was out for 2 and half hours in the sun. I breasted the birds and found they had a mixture of grain, beans and rape with only a few empty totally. 

Burney did get me alright and now my face is 20 shades redder than it should be but who cares when the sport was so  good. 

Nice little afternoon out Ginger Cat , there is something satisfying about getting a bag with the minimum equipment , I think sometimes we tend to forget how we used to managed on just the basics .

We didn't need sun cream today , in fact this afternoon was dull , with a strong wind and a bit chilly .