Two very pleasant afternoon/evening sessions.

JDog

Yesterday Clodhopper (C) and I met up primarily to go and see the owner of some pea fields which had been receiving attention from a lot of pigeons. We both have some knowledge of agriculture so it was an embarrassment to inspect the crop closely only to find that the 'peas' were beans. Those fields no will be of little interest to pigeons until harvest time.

We toured around, liaising with Mightymariner who was looking at some of his patch, but it looked like a blank had been drawn until we travelled way out of our way and found some pigeons on barley drilling. A phone call from C to the farmer and we were on. A deep and wide ditch divided two fields and with a strong wind blowing we had no alternative but to have the wind at our backs and shoot just the one field. A few decoys plus the rotary completed the picture. The rotary was soon discarded as it was putting birds off and the flapper broke so we relied on 'pigeons on sticks' again. The first hour was very quiet, the second a bit better and just when we had to pack up for the sake of our marriages the pigeons decoyed well. We shot 23 pigeons and six corvids.

Today I had a lazy morning in the garden and went out to look for pigeons on peas (the real thing) at 3 pm. There were none but a call from C alerted me to pigeons he had found on another barley drilling. Twenty minutes later we met up. There were pigeons there but we were hamstrung by an instruction from the farmer not to shoot below his house. This would have been the best place. Another distraction was the lively company of C's eight year old son who joined him in the hide. As yesterday it was slow at first then matters improved a bit and a few decoyed nicely. We finished shooting at 7 pm with our marriages almost certainly at an end with eight corvids and thirty pigeons.

I am not sure if JDog was more excited by the pigeon shooting or the large quantity of jelly sweets my lad kept ferrying to his hide. 

Also of note was the large dyke, JDog expertly dropped pigeons on the far bank. Being dog less as we had not initially intended to shoot, it was left to yours truly to vault in order to retrieve them.  Needless to say I went home with wet feet.

8 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

I would have scored well for speed and flair going out for the retrieve. But would have been eliminated for dropping the birds as I fell in the water. JDog also questions whether I am steady to shot.?

I am sure you are used to sitting and staying for long periods and dropping a bird after leaving water is normal for a young un , after you have done it a few time you will hang on to it even after a good ole shake , on long glided out birds , have you started to respond to Mr JDog hand signals while he is using a silent whistle , the time to take heed is when he come with a numbered arm band, you will then know he is taking your retrieving skills seriously .:shoot:

50 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am sure you are used to sitting and staying for long periods and dropping a bird after leaving water is normal for a young un , after you have done it a few time you will hang on to it even after a good ole shake , on long glided out birds , have you started to respond to Mr JDog hand signals while he is using a silent whistle , the time to take heed is when he come with a numbered arm band, you will then know he is taking your retrieving skills seriously .:shoot:

Apparently next time we go out  I have to wear some sort of remote controlled electric device around my neck.?