Emily Thornberry isreal calibre comments?

markm

On the topic of troubles in the Middle East (Israel / Palestine). Just caught the end of her speech in parliament  today, she compared 7.62 to to 5.56 talked about how one calibre mushrooms and one just injures. From what I heard, her facts were wrong, she used American hunting forums as evidence....

Yes - title spelling is wrong.

Edited by markm

1 hour ago, PPP said:

I read that 5.56 destabilises and tumbles at 400M + and so key holes and wounds, can’t remember where I read that though, think it was by accident than design

I have heard similar about AK's but don't know it true or not. But it would be more down to barrel design/quality

Wether a bulet stabilises or not will be a combination of things barrel design/quility/clean rifling/twist rate and wieght/shape/BC of bullet

5.56 is essentially a 223 so while not really designed for shooting live quarry at 400m it is perfectly capable with the right set up and shooter.

I think sone convention (geneva??) has rules over warfare and bullet design, for war u have to use FMJ bullets which won't really expnd so will drill a small hole in u, whereas most hunting bullets will be 'expanding ammo (wether soft nosed or hoolow points etc) so designed to expand leaving a large wound channel and exit hole

1 hour ago, PPP said:

I read that 5.56 destabilises and tumbles at 400M + and so key holes and wounds, can’t remember where I read that though, think it was by accident than design

It is indeed more accidental that 5.56 is more likely to wound.  It was adopted by NATO with weight and total ammunition carry levels in mind.

There has been reports that the gunshot wounds being received by the protesters have been 'unusually severe' for 5.56 rounds.
I think the suspicion is that the IDF have been using expanding bullets.

As far as the Geneva convention goes, the FMJ rule (whether it is always adhered to or not) applies to 'warfare' as in 2 or more countries at war, you could even stretch the definition to war, as in war that has been 'declared' which is not always the case ,the Falklands being one such example.

Its is perfectly (international law wise ) acceptable to use expanding ammunition in sporting, home defence and law enforcement, and in the case of the Israelis ,civil defence.

Although I dont think for one moment the use of such ammunition and the legality of it would cause much bother to the IDF.

10 hours ago, Zapp said:

It is indeed more accidental that 5.56 is more likely to wound.  It was adopted by NATO with weight and total ammunition carry levels in mind.

This. Fully jacketed military 5.56mm heads lack ‘terminal’ stopping power unless they come into contact with vitals compared to soft ballistic tip type heads. 

Many of those involved in combat situations since the 5.56mm was adopted have commented on its poor stopping power compared to 7.62mm. 

Your average squaddie from all nationalities is an average shot, and in combat situations understandably even more so; the emphasis is getting as many shots down range as possible. 

17 hours ago, PPP said:

Wasn't that the AK74 5.45 round that tumbles?

Back in the day this evil was explained to us in the green that it was a dumb dumb designed for maximum damage rather than FMJ which could go straight through but either way the IDF dont give a monkeys ,you bring a slingshot to a gunfight are you simple .