Has Wildfowling become too easy?

SuperGoose75

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Gets easier? Nope! As I get older........Wildfowling seems to get harder! Lol!

That is one of the biggest changes anyone who is a long term fowler will find , you can put age on hold , but age will finally catch you up and the age related aches and pains will let you know you are not as young as you once were.

I have just renewed my membership for this coming season , which will make it 54 years being a W A G B I and B A S C member , each year I keep saying this might be my last season and overall I am till reasonably active and in decent health with never spent a night in hospital , but what I find hard now is the desire to keep shooting wildfowl and no longer getting the buzz after it is in the bag , so this year could well be my last season              ............., or I might give it just one more :yes:

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Charlie Anderson said:

Having to drive so far to get some fowling ie London to Scotland I don’t consider it easy at all. I could join a English club but I think I will wait until can get a gun dog first. 

You are up against it living a long distance from your fowling grounds , I am not sure where is your nearest W A club from London , as a guess either Kent or one of the clubs in Essex but I am sure someone will come up with the nearest one to you .

Instead of going all the way to Scotland why not try one of the East coast clubs around the Wash area , if luck is on your side with the quantity of fowl and the weather when you book up for your visit you will have to go a long way to find anything better .

I have the advantage of having two fantastic friends up on north so for annual fowling trip and baptism there is no finer place. Besides I like to get away from the war office at least once a year. when I am free of the tribe ie 3 children I will get a gundog, train it and then look to join somewhere closer to home. Luckily my father had the good fortune , wisdom , to buried in Scotland , God bless his soul so as a good son I must pay my respects each year. Actually it’s bit ritual almost if I missed paying my respects I might jinx the trip - slashed tyres excepted.

Regarding your post i dont think wildfowling has become easier Yes we have better guns equipment etc some places have better transportation to and from shooting grounds But that can lead to easier access for joe public  My opinion is its getting harder regards shooting restrictions being forced on clubs especially mainland UK Were most of you guys hunt Here in northern ireland any chance they get there putting more restrictions on the shooting grounds And i blame a lot of WILDFOWLERS as well THE word GREED comes into play couple old hands i hunt with when we go out we take 3 or 4 birds each then stop shooting Have seen guns shooting bags of 20 or 30 which to me is to much I Have noticed that the weather last 10 years has changed dramatically in the UK we just dont get the cold windy spells we used to SORRY for the rant but its the way i feel ?

I think we all have to aware that antis would love us to declare what wanton destruction we have enjoyed but I am reminded to quote the words printed in the shooting times  “ the wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after” king George vi

in short if you love the sport, embrace steel shot, shoot conservatively and be careful what you post. 

I have always ways taught my tribe that you eat what you shoot with the exception of squirrel,that way , harvesting 250 pigeons has absolutely no interest to me as while I’m sure it’s a great day there is no way I could eat that much pigeon in one sitting. Pigeon jerky maybe?

12 minutes ago, Charlie Anderson said:

I think we all have to aware that antis would love us to declare what wanton destruction we have enjoyed but I am reminded to quote the words printed in the shooting times  “ the wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust. We must account for it to those who come after” king George vi

in short if you love the sport, embrace steel shot, shoot conservatively and be careful what you post. 

I have always ways taught my tribe that you eat what you shoot with the exception of squirrel,that way , harvesting 250 pigeons has absolutely no interest to me as while I’m sure it’s a great day there is no way I could eat that much pigeon in one sitting. Pigeon jerky maybe?

I would be bored if I only shot what I could consume.