Rabbits in decline

old'un

The decline in rabbits seem to vary around the country with some areas reporting falls of 60% England and more than 80% in Scotland…https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/960304/UK-rabbit-breeding-numbers-decline-scotland-rabbit-population

In the West Midlands at this time of year I am usually seeing lots of young rabbits but this year I could count on one hand the number I have seen, some of the biggish warrens I know are devoid of rabbits, also I am not seeing many foxes, and Buzzards numbers seem fewer, the BTO have done some research into UK mammal population…https://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/bbs/latest-results/mammal-monitoring

Not seen this article before and only spotted it when searching Rabbit decline, New Zealand plan to release a new strain of RHD…http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43221704     

I havent seen such low numbers of rabbits before. Of the 8 or 9 places I used to shoot rabbits in any number on I now have just one place where 6 would be a big bag now, all the other places are barren.

My FAC Air which has been my bunny rifle for a few years now barely gets out. Just no bunnys to go after.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2018 at 19:40, thepasty said:

we got shed loads in SW cornwall!

That is a seriously productive area. Can't sell many down there because almost any non emmet who wants some can usually get them for free. Hayle seal sanctury will take as many as you can get them.

• 1 month later...

South West Scotland seems very bare of bunnies.

12yr ago when I got my rifle I could take 30-40 rabbits every night I went out. I won't have shot 100 rabbits in the last 5 years!!. I have a HMR and .22 and fear losing the rifles through lack of use - have been informed the police don't like us having rifles and not using them.

• 2 months later...

I have been out this evening on my 4 of my permissions with a hand held night vision camera and ,,,,,,,,,,,,Zero ! not one.

Yesterday evening, my friend and I walked the local golf club (next to M6 Thelwall viaduct) , similar  result .

This is getting worrying   And some of my 'pensioner friends are having to buy meat!