TD5 Turbo Replacement Help

Munzy

Guys, turbo has just gone in my Disco2 TD5.

I’ve had a scout around and found a company (London Turbos) who will do a refurbed one for £190 on an exchange basis.

Question is, do I need to change the oil feed pipe? A few of the sellers state that you should but I don’t really see why this would be necessary in every case. The cheapest I can find the pipe for is £80! Tried the usual suspects (Rimmer, Britpart, Paddock etc) but any suggestions would be gratefully received.

53 minutes ago, defender said:

I've seen one blocked solid with carbon

33 minutes ago, drut said:

Pipe is prone to carbon block up,cost of ignoring may be high: your choice,your punt.

Hmmm... oil pipe clogged with carbon? How does carbon get in the oil?

I’ll give it a good once-over when the turbo is off; thanks chaps.

2 minutes ago, R1nut said:

Oil starvation is the reason, at 120000 rpm they don't last long dry!

Judging by the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust from the oil blowing out of the turbo seals I would think there is no problem with oil starvation!

a seal kit and set of bushes for a garrett turbo like yours is only £20 odd quid.............also check the back pressure coming out of the rocker box...as oil laden fumes i think (if it is like mine) ported back into the cleaner then the inlet of the turbo...

disconnect the air cleaner......disconnect the turbo outlet and run it ....put a white cloth on the outlet and see what comes out..................my experience with turbo's is they are either fine or totally let go...no inbetween.........check your air cleaner as well..........

have a gander at my "turbo rebuild " thread from last year............

Edited by ditchman

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

a seal kit and set of bushes for a garrett turbo like yours is only £20 odd quid.............also check the back pressure coming out of the rocker box...as oil laden fumes i think (if it is like mine) ported back into the cleaner then the inlet of the turbo...

disconnect the air cleaner......disconnect the turbo outlet and run it ....put a white cloth on the outlet and see what comes out..................my experience with turbo's is they are either fine or totally let go...no inbetween.........check your air cleaner as well..........

have a gander at my "turbo rebuild " thread from last year............

Thanks Ditchman, had a read of your rebuild thread, interesting stuff!

Unfortunately I have to get the turbo swap turned around ASAP and get the car back on the road.

I am tempted to keep hold of the old one and forfeit the £60 deposit, get the rebuild kit and fix it myself before sticking it up on eBay.