Hodgdon powders

11 hours ago, wymberley said:

Steve,

Could you amplify this, please? Banned - as in not imported - no longer made - or what?. Better hurry up and get what will probably be my last tub of Lil'Gun.

Cheers

I should have said 'banned' for EU countries, due to a chemical in the powder. It won't be imported after September 2018 I believe. I use two Hodgdon powders (H4198 & H4895) which I think are on the list. I have 2 full tubs of both, plus 1/2 tubs, so they should last me a few years.

Was there not a thread on this a while ago, maybe another forum.?

A list I picked up then.

https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/REACH-compliant-powders/

The list of powder due to be banned include the following:

Hodgdon

Trail Boss
Retumbo
H1000
H322
H335
H380
H414
H4198
H4350
H4831
H4831SC
H4895
US 869
CFE BLK
BL-C2
BENCHMARK
SUPERFORMANCE
HYBRID 100V
VARGET

IMR

BLUE PENDING CE APPROVAL
GREEN PENDING CE APPROVAL
RED PENDING CE APPROVAL
TARGET PENDING CE APPROVAL
UNEQUAL PENDING CE APPROVAL

Edited by Bazooka Joe
Added Link

This is referring to REAC ('REACH' - Regulation (EC) 1907/2006 concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation, and restriction of CHemicals) limitations

So, all European manufactured grades are OK - so Viht, Nitrochemie (Reload Swiss), Alliant ATK Reloder rifle grades (all made by Bofors and Nitrochemie), Ramshot (manufactured by PB Clermont in Belgium, part of the SNPE Eurenco group); SNPE, Vectan/Nobel Sport, Explosia/Lovex, B&P, Fiocchi & Cheddite are compliant.

From another forum i got a list of products losing their CE certification as of 1st June next year are:

All Hodgdon ADI Manufactured extruded grades (also includes two IMR branded grades - 8208 XBR and Trail Boss), so H4198 through to H1000 and Retumbo 'gone'.

All General Dynamics St. Marks Powder Florida factory grades bar maybe a couple - all Winchester powders and nearly all Hodgdon 'spherical' powders are non-compliant. Hodgdon Lil Gun is compliant, and there is a question mark re the most recent introduction - H. CFE223. So, H335, BL-C(2), H414 and so-called 'Hybrid' powders made by St Marks (H100V and a few more), H. Super and Lever ... formance spherical powders will no longer be imported from the middle of next year.

All 'legacy' IMR powders made by General Dynamics Canada, in Valleyfield, Quebec are non-compliant, ie the traditional grades made by the Du Pont Corporation in the USA and taken to Canada under new ownership are non-compliant. Ie IMR-4198 through to IMR-7828 and including many old favourites such as 3031, 4895, and 4064.

GD Canada has introduced five new 'green' pistol / revolver grades and four rifle grades that are all REACH compliant, although not all may have been CE certified under the new standards yet. In rifle propellants, that's the new IMR 'Enduron' quartet - and I would hope that this number will be expanded but have no hard information as to whether that is a possibility. The Endurons are: IMR-4166 (H4895 / VarGet replacement); 4451 (vice IMR/H4350); 4955 (vice IMR-4831/H4831); 7977 (vice IMR-7828/H1000). 4166, 4451, and 7977 are CE certified and available now - having tried them, I'm impressed and reckon they will fill many gaps. IMR-4955 has only recently been introduced and hasn't got here yet.I am 

I am not clear what would happend to the other shotgun powder (IMR 800X, IMR 700X, Alliant's Powders, etc.) but am digging more and contacted few more manufacturers.

Update:

I've just bought a tub of H4895 & H4198 @£49:50 each. I could have got it for £45/tub but would have had to add fuel costs to get it from another RFD. I bought these from a RFD who's shop I was passing. With what I already have, and already reloaded, this should last me for another two years at least, at the low rate of ammunition I get through.

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all.....EU is a closed market system. Sooner UK is  Out -  The Better.....  if,,,,,,,

If "our?" politicos have the cojones to opt OUT and the nous to negotiate bigger market arrangements then things may get better?? Depends on their response to DT's agenda and if our lame Westminster ducks  fall in line with the Eurocracy response to the USA's trade restrictions....

5 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

It doesn't have anything to do with politics or economy, is an environmentally based regs on the use of certain chemicals which all EU members had to adopt. As we know US are not exactly environmentally friendly these days (Kyoto treaty docet)

How dare you come on here and state the truth ;-)....... not everything in life revolves around Brexit