Best caliber

Matt.Tsk

what do u all think the best caliber for allround hunting?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. what do u all think the best caliber for allround hunting?

Firstly as we are talking air guns and not rimfire etc it is paramount for a clean efficient kill with no suffering caused to the animal and therefore a good accurate head shot will dispatch your target every time,no body shots.

There is only one calibre that will do this an that is .177.

Ok the 22 will have a bit more wack out to 35-40 yards but at a cost of accuracy and speed,the .177 compensates for this with higher speed and accuracy which has to be more important.

I have cleanly killed pigeons at over 100yds with my daystate .177 do that with a .22 or a shotgun come to that.

Firstly as we are talking air guns and not rimfire etc it is paramount for a clean efficient kill with no suffering caused to the animal and therefore a good accurate head shot will dispatch your target every time,no body shots.

There is only one calibre that will do this an that is .177.

Ok the 22 will have a bit more wack out to 35-40 yards but at a cost of accuracy and speed,the .177 compensates for this with higher speed and accuracy which has to be more important.

I have cleanly killed pigeons at over 100yds with my daystate .177 do that with a .22 or a shotgun come to that.

Matto,

Killing pigeons over 100 yards range with a .177 sub 12fpe gun? Well that is more pure luck than skill, mate ! How much energy do that pellet have after 100 yards travel or more - enough to make a clean kill ?

Well, do a pointed .177 pellet kill your quarry clean everytime you hitted it with a headshot ?

No bodyshots - not even with a highpower FAC airgun ? I find it VERY hard to believe that.

Cheers - Bolta

i prefer .177 but 100 yards!damn thats pretty far.

i think that it depends how close you are shooting your quarry at as far as pointy pellets go. i prefer to use round headed ones up close 'cos theres a bigger surface area on the head so probs more energy transfer as it hits and less penetration than a pointy one up close.

Well BOLTA.

To be totally honest i dont care if you or anyone else beleives me or not,i have nothing to prove or nothing to gain by lying.

Years of field target shooting and pushing myself & gun to the limits has taught me what is possible and what aint.

I would not take such a shot if the conditions were not right (wind etc).

I usually stick within 60yds but sometimes as already said will go out if i can.

By the way,the ammo i use are Webley Lazadomes,round head,i never use pointed pellets.

So if you still think im ********ting then fine , i know the truth.

P.S did you know the earth is not flat,it is round?

Which forum had some **** called Lazapell2003 on it i think it might ave been the airgun bbs, Well he were spoutin out the same old **** like 'I shoot rabbit out to 70yrds' with a 12ftlb gun!!I hate these people i only take shots to 30-40yrd as i no anything beyond that would be luck(or before :*) )and unfair to your quarry.

Take a reality check

Matto,

If I should believe you, you better tell me now what energy level these pellets have after travelling 100 yards or more ! You ought to know it, if you shoot these ranges.

You did also wrote that only .177 pellets could dispatch quarry EVERYTIME with a headshot. Does that also incl. a pointed .177 pellet ? That is the question, because you also can get pointed pellets in cal .177 and do they always make a clean kill everytime you hit your quarry in the head ?

And what about these bodyshots you mentioned ? Can this not be done with a highpower FAC airgun ?

You stated a lot, but there is not much to back you up in what you wrote !

I could easy say that my airgun setup could take airgun quarry out to 150 yards, but I don´t have anything to back it up with. Me, myself use a highpower .25 / 56fpe airgun, so I know a couple of things regarding long range shooting with an airgun.

Cheers - Bolta

I normally shoot at 30 yards with my TX200HC in .22 and it packs a punch when I hit them rabbits and squirrels. I usually practice with 25 yards in my back yard and hit 1/2 inch groups regularly. My rifle is FAC, getting around 16 FPE out of RWS Superdomes.

On JVCs site there is an article on long range airgun shooting, a guy called Donovan took a prairie dog at 147 yards with an AAS410E, so it can be done albeit with high powered guns.

My own gun (FAC Rapid) is zeroed at 50 yards and does 30ftlbs, it does have the means to go out a hell of a lot further but the most extreme range Ill go for is 70 yards off a bipod, to be honest if you say you take quarry @ 100 yards then I believe you but I think that it isnt very responsible with a 12ftlb airgun, there are too many things to go wrong at 40 yards never mind 100. And as stated the pellet wouldnt have much energy left out there, not very confidence inspiring. :P

hi,

so matto how much holdover do you give with your gun then??when you shot this pigeon at 100yards which is alot further than many think??,it's just I was out shooting over the weekend with my gun and dispatched a couple of bunnies,a crow and a few magpie's all between 50-80yards with a gun(.22) running at 35ftIbs.The guns sighted in at 50yards and one of the rabbits shot at 82yards(bloody flukey shot) was hit smack in the brainbox I gave that rabbit a good inch holdover,just thought with a 12ftIbs .177 shooting a hundred yards you'd need around a foot holdover??,your certainly a better shot than I am.

Bolta I'd say energy retention of the pellet (.177)would be about 2ftIbs at 80-90yards??just generally guessing beings as no one has answered yet.

yis andy.

Hi,

You are quite right, Andy. According to the Chairgun program we are about 1.5-2 fpe at 100 yards distance with .177 and this is not enough energy to make a "CLEAN" kill. I just would have liked to hear, that Matto himself had come up with same energy level to see by himself that this couldn´t be done.

Cheers - Bolta.

I very much doubt there is enough energy with a .177 or .22 to have a clean kill at 100 yards with it running at 12ft/lbs. As has already been stated many people that perhaps havent been shooting very long may not have a clue how far 100 yards is. I agree with Andy and Bolta when it comes to this bloke shooting a pigeon at 100 yards or whatever, especially a pigeon, pretty hard birds.