Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum. Nice selection! Cartridge collecting isn't my main shooting interest but I do like Scottish cartridges along with some military. Have taken a picture of my J. Dickson cartridges but the file size exceeds the maximum for uploading. Will see if I can do something about that later. 

7 minutes ago, HW95J said:

Welcome to the forum. Nice selection! Cartridge collecting isn't my main shooting interest but I do like Scottish cartridges along with some military. Have taken a picture of my J. Dickson cartridges but the file size exceeds the maximum for uploading. Will see if I can do something about that later. 

try taking your photos on a smaller resoloution or, depending on your editing software, try adding some compression.

Macdougall&Co 1-2.JPG

Macnaughton&Sons 2-1.JPG

MacphersonJ 10-3.JPG

MartinAlex 7-2.JPG

There we go, gives an overview at least! I have a fair few others such as some Grand Prix through the ages, military trapshooting/SG loads and other makers. Good to see that you've got a few Dickson/MacNaughtons. I will branch out further in the future but for now I'm trying to hold back on collecting-  need the money for cartridges that I can actually use! 

SmallerCartridges.jpg

Fantastic images, I wasn't aware that there had been such a variety of different Lion cartridges. I don't have a second of the blue one unfortunately but if this is something you're particularly keen on then I might be able to put you in touch with the person who supplied it. If so, we could PM about that. 

Likewise, once I start getting more cartridges in again, probably later this year, then I might need to enquire as to where you got hold of that selection!

I'm sure there are other collectors on the forum, maybe we can get a pinned thread going? 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Were most of these cartridges loaded by the makers on them or as today stamped up Eley Gamebore cartridges.

There were a few cartridge manufacturers in the UK, Ely, Kynoch, Joyce etc but in the main, firms had cartridges printed up for them. A lot were supplied as new primed empties and firms, shops etc would hand load them.

4 hours ago, matone said:

Bet they`re like hen`s teeth !

I only know of two surviving cartridges, I owned both but foolishly swapped a one a long time ago.

11 hours ago, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

Have you ever seen a one of these from haydon bridge?

Clemitson 1-1.JPG

Clemitson 1-2.JPG

I would love to own one of those. I was given a full box of Spartan (same as the second one down in the second picture) many years ago which I should have kept whole but different people have  had one or two over the years. 

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 02:08, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

Hi I would like to introduce myself, my main hobby is cartridge collecting, I collect all UK & Commonwealth, brass or paper rolled turnover cartridges, I especially like cartridges from my part of the country, NE England, makers such as W R Pape, Wanless brothers, Smythes, and so on.

Smythe.JPG

Joseph Forestall  Smythe  the top gun maker of the North 

Feltwad

I never owned a gun by him, but love his cartridges

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Anyone remember these?

002.jpg

001.jpg

Have carefully avoided one third of the cartridge circumference

Yeah had some of those at one time

55 minutes ago, r1steele said:

I would love to own one of those. I was given a full box of Spartan (same as the second one down in the second picture) many years ago which I should have kept whole but different people have  had one or two over the years. 

yeah opening the box spoils it,