Cartridge Collecting

Three Eley military SG cartridges. Assuming the colour denotes batch? Would be interested to know if anyone has information regarding dates for these!

Close up of the brass J. Dickson and Son Edinburgh cartridge along with headstamp 

EleySGEdit.jpg

DicksonMacNaughtonBrassEdit.jpg

DicksonBrassHeadstampEdit.jpg

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, HW95J said:

Three Eley military SG cartridges. Assuming the colour denotes batch? Would be interested to know if anyone has information regarding dates for these!

Close up of the brass J. Dickson and Son Edinburgh cartridge along with headstamp 

EleySGEdit.jpg

Those with the arrow were issued to the home guard during WW11  most were loaded with SSG shot or LG shot or Round ball, if my memory serves me right SSG 9 lead balls , LG was 6 lead balls .I can remember when I was a lad my father used to remove the round balls and replace with 5 or 6 lead shot  because shotgun cartridges were hard to obtain , there was also a  white case cartridge of that period  issued by licence call War Agric  and a red case cartridge called Pest Control .

Feltwad

Thanks for the info, I'd read about large shot cartridges being issued to the Home Guard but wasn't sure if these were the ones. I think some of the HG issue were brass, perhaps that was the round ball ones? Also seen advice from the time on how to modify regular cartridges e.g cut-shells and wax slugs. 

Will have a look for some agric cartridges at some point. The idea that the government used to issue cartridges is something of a contrast compared with today... 

Was your father in the Home Guard or were these just in circulation/surplus? 

1 hour ago, HW95J said:

Thanks for the info, I'd read about large shot cartridges being issued to the Home Guard but wasn't sure if these were the ones. I think some of the HG issue were brass, perhaps that was the round ball ones? Also seen advice from the time on how to modify regular cartridges e.g cut-shells and wax slugs. 

Will have a look for some agric cartridges at some point. The idea that the government used to issue cartridges is something of a contrast compared with today... 

Was your father in the Home Guard or were these just in circulation/surplus? 

No my father was not in the Home Guard  the cartridges were I believe surplus .

Feltwad

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A quick question to Cartridge collector 2708195 , are there any plastic cased cartridges in your vast collection , or are they to modern ?

Excellent thread by the way.

I did have a few thousand plastics in the collection but ran out of space so donated mthem to a shooting school for youths. seemed like a good cause. I only kept a small handfull of local ones to me. Plastics dont keep so well, plastic loses the text of the cases and eventuall split with age. Having said that, still have a lot of full boxes I didnt part with.

51 minutes ago, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

I did have a few thousand plastics in the collection but ran out of space so donated mthem to a shooting school for youths. seemed like a good cause. I only kept a small handfull of local ones to me. Plastics dont keep so well, plastic loses the text of the cases and eventuall split with age. Having said that, still have a lot of full boxes I didnt part with.

THANKS.......... The only ones I had of any interest belonged to Prince Phillip , he was a guest gun on ours where I worked , my job was to drive the guns about on a shooting day , although on this particular day he kept in his Range Rover as it was snowing and my trailer with the guns in was cold .

During the dinner break I had my dinner with the chap who was his loader and the conservation got round to what cartridges do you use , as he had his bag with him he got two out and said , here you go , you can keep them , they were Red paper cases and if I remember rightly they had Sandringham Shooting School written on them , as there wasn't any proof the Duke used them , they didn't really mean much to me and I ended up giving them away, no doubt you have got the same ones in your collection .

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

THANKS.......... The only ones I had of any interest belonged to Prince Phillip , he was a guest gun on ours where I worked , my job was to drive the guns about on a shooting day , although on this particular day he kept in his Range Rover as it was snowing and my trailer with the guns in was cold .

During the dinner break I had my dinner with the chap who was his loader and the conservation got round to what cartridges do you use , as he had his bag with him he got two out and said , here you go , you can keep them , they were Red paper cases and if I remember rightly they had Sandringham Shooting School written on them , as there wasn't any proof the Duke used them , they didn't really mean much to me and I ended up giving them away, no doubt you have got the same ones in your collection .

These were shot by Royalty but dont know who?

Purdey 001.JPG

Purdey 002.JPG

7 hours ago, Feltwad said:

It looks like  Wanless cartridges and guns were popular enclosed are adverts of northern gun makers and cartridge makers 

Feltwad

Wanless Stockton Shop

100_2246.jpg

Wanless  Darlington Shop

100_2249.jpg

Fosters of Durham City

100_2250.jpg

Richardson of Barnard castle

Elton Stores

100_2253.jpg

100_2257.jpg

For a successful company ,there seem to be few Wanless guns around.I`ve only ever seen a couple of basic trade guns ,although there have been a few quality ones on the net over the years.Anyone seen or owned a one ?

1 hour ago, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

Actually, i dont, estate cartridges can be difficult to obtain.  I do have some of prince charles estate cases (.410) bearing his crown. Atleast thats what I was told off the gent who sold me them.

I did have a handful of Wynyard estate cartridges (plastic) which I'll try and hunt out.

2 hours ago, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

Actually, i dont, estate cartridges can be difficult to obtain.  I do have some of prince charles estate cases (.410) bearing his crown. Atleast thats what I was told off the gent who sold me them.

I did have a handful of Wynyard estate cartridges (plastic) which I'll try and hunt out.

3 hours ago, hanky said:

These were shot by Royalty but dont know who?

Purdey 001.JPG

Purdey 002.JPG

the little 410 short is what I was told came from Prince Charles estate.  I havent proof but the guy who I got them off said he got them off a gamekeeper from Charles estate, again how true I cant say.  The purdeys if you look has a different crown, a crown I cant recognise either.

8 hours ago, HW95J said:

EleySGEdit.jpg

I have those in a multitude of colours and the broad arrow  (WD) can be atleast 3 distinct sizes. 12 bores came in SG LG and ball, I was told they LG SG sizes were for heavily choked guns where the bal for open choked. 16 bores I have only seen the blue case with ssg shot. They also did 12 bore Special trapshooting with the broad arrow mark and came in orange and cream cases. Trent  also did the broad arrow cases.

Agricultural department reserve came in 5,6 & I think 7 shot. Other similar cases were Pest control, AEC pest control (12 & 16 bores) AEC grey Squirrel, AEC Carrion Crow, AEC ROOK, Forestry Commision which were subsidised cases. Some AEC were made by Greenwood & Bateley.

AEC 1-1.JPG

AEC 3-1.JPG

AEC 4-1.JPG

AEC 7-1.JPG

AEC 11-1.JPG

AEC 12-1.JPG

AEC 6-1.JPG

2 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Shame they do not make the one on the left anymore 'Guaranteed accuracy'  I would use nothing else! DSCI0076.JPG.f0252838e765843b981fa6dcbe35bf2b.JPG

We have used 100s of the middle one ( Yellow Wizard ) , the smell of the burnt powder in the empty case still linger in my mind , at the time we paid 12/6d or 62 1/2p if my maths is right , the same price we paid for Eley Grand Prix .

I also noticed you had a box of Hymax in one of your posts , another brilliant cartridge at the time , not as dear as Alphamax but a bit dearer than the Eley Maximum , all good wildfowling cartridges.

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I also noticed you had a box of Hymax in one of your posts , another brilliant cartridge at the time , not as dear as Alphamax but a bit dearer than the Eley Maximum , all good wildfowling cartridges.

Yes the HYMAX were a very good cartridge in their day, I shot lots of them. Then went over to HULL ULTRAMAX as I liked them even more.