Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nev said:

How rare are Joyce of London cartridges?  I have a 16 bore that a collector nearly fainted when he saw it, but would not give it a value.

Hanky on here would be your best bet regarding who to ask. He's a top bloke and what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing 👍 

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

This is a awesome hobby.  I would love to have a huge display board.  

Do you come across old paper cartridges at your farmers markets etc? 

Ive come across pictures of some nice older remington boxes. I wouldnt mind some of the modern ones either but as far as I can tell no one stocks American carts aside from federal steel loads which are rather expensive. 

6 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Hanky on here would be your best bet regarding who to ask. He's a top bloke and what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing 👍 

Do you come across old paper cartridges at your farmers markets etc? 

Ive come across pictures of some nice older remington boxes. I wouldnt mind some of the modern ones either but as far as I can tell no one stocks American carts aside from federal steel loads which are rather expensive. 

Yeah, Nothing fancy looking though.  Those pictured are pretty cool.  Winchester, Western auto, Remington but nothing interesting.  

5 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Yeah, Nothing fancy looking though.  Those pictured are pretty cool.  Winchester, Western auto, Remington but nothing interesting.  

Alot are pre 1950/60, have a few from around the turn of the century. For me it's that they came from a time when a bit more effort went into things, while plastic carts come in a variety of colours it's just not the same. 

Every few months I pull the storage boxes out and have a look through and it's like finding them all over again lol. 

Reproduced these greetings cards, for like minded people who might be even reading this thread.  Cards are 152 x 202mm, blank inside, contact Dean Press, Maiden Bradley for more information. ( My fave is the Rocket!)

DSCF3032.JPG

1 hour ago, Nev said:

Reproduced these greetings cards, for like minded people who might be even reading this thread.  Cards are 152 x 202mm, blank inside, contact Dean Press, Maiden Bradley for more information. ( My fave is the Rocket!)

DSCF3032.JPG

They certainly look the biz! 

I'll start dropping hints to the missus 

11 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

They certainly look the biz! 

I'll start dropping hints to the missus 

Thank you.  The Eley 'Proprietary' are from 1939 and the Mullerite 1937/38 season.

Blank inside for any occasion.

Edited by Nev

I've been given a box of 12g 70mm 7.5 Winchester AA Club cartridges from a relative. Any idea of age or rarity? I'm guessing 1990's but a google search reveals nothing. Plenty of images of AA's with black/red box but none with light brown/sandy coloured box like these.

Will put a picture up later if they are of interest - if not I will just shoot them!

19 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

I've been given a box of 12g 70mm 7.5 Winchester AA Club cartridges from a relative. Any idea of age or rarity? I'm guessing 1990's but a google search reveals nothing. Plenty of images of AA's with black/red box but none with light brown/sandy coloured box like these.

Will put a picture up later if they are of interest - if not I will just shoot them!

Definitely like to see them even if you are going to shoot them 😂 

32 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

FFA9C2C5-45EC-47D0-BD05-C52F5CB7043C.jpeg

582B7155-64B0-47BC-AA13-0D9F029E0331.jpeg

Much appreciated 👍 

Might be worth holding on to the box even if you haven't seen another and you do decide to shoot them off. 

Vast majority of my collection is based on carts and boxes I like the look of rather than if they have any sort of value. 

Bit of a strange request but does anyone have old 9mm flobert ammo that they could measure for me? The ones with a brass head and paper case. I have an old 9mm rimfire that I suspect may have a chamber too short for modern cartridges. Wondering if ammo back in the day was shorter? It's a Belgian gun, probably early 20th Century with a Warnant breech system. Thought some fellow cartridge collectors may have suitable examples to measure...

2 minutes ago, HW95J said:

Bit of a strange request but does anyone have old 9mm flobert ammo that they could measure for me? The ones with a brass head and paper case. I have an old 9mm rimfire that I suspect may have a chamber too short for modern cartridges. Wondering if ammo back in the day was shorter? It's a Belgian gun, probably early 20th Century with a Warnant breech system. Thought some fellow cartridge collectors may have suitable examples to measure...

Could dig a cart out for you tommorow, off the top of my head it's an eley if that's any good to you? 

15 hours ago, HW95J said:

Left to right, 

Modern RWS 9mm, 36mm

Modern - ish Fiocchi 9mm, 34mm

Last two are stamped with the E headstamp measure 43mm 

Screenshot_20190717-101854.png