Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just bought a job lot of cartridges in amongst the odds and ends there are two odd roll top paper cases, one from Walsrode who are a German manufacturer and I believe they only made cartridges between the world wars. The other odd one has “Mario Bricchi Placenza” stamped on it and “Leon Beaux Milano” on the bottom. Has anyone any idea how common they might be and how old the Italian one could be? 

7 minutes ago, PBerger said:

I have just bought a job lot of cartridges in amongst the odds and ends there are two odd roll top paper cases, one from Walsrode who are a German manufacturer and I believe they only made cartridges between the world wars. The other odd one has “Mario Bricchi Placenza” stamped on it and “Leon Beaux Milano” on the bottom. Has anyone any idea how common they might be and how old the Italian one could be? 

Stick some pictures up 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up an old Baikal for the kids to use, and it came with a box of random carts, some old Gamebore Super Trap 32g 7.5s and some Victory Super Trap 28g, a couple of Winchester AA and some Gamebore XLR in 9 shot.  I will probably use the XLRs, but the rest might make a start of a collection, nothing special there, but nice as my first random find.

• 3 weeks later...

What a brilliant read guys thank you.

im not a collector but yesterday was given just over 200 of these “the hawker” made by Chubb’s gunmakers London. he was given 500 by his friend who is giving up shooting.

we used a hand full not knowing the age or anything about them. I can’t find much information on tinternet about them, could anyone shed any light?

1797ACED-B5DF-40E6-869E-1F2C3AA64D82.jpeg

20363692-CCC3-45BD-B372-6FBFC0C22E42.jpeg

6B751F9F-096C-422B-9AB5-C4A065A4D64F.jpeg

F14F6319-57FE-45C7-B9FA-907FD09B0D50.jpeg

My friend did open one up to have a look inside. He didn’t mention that the shot was different in any way to the newer cartridges, just that it was harder to cut the paper case than it was to cut plastic with a Stanley knife.

thanks for having a look for me. From what I have found looking on pigeon watch, they ceased trading around 1986, and were opened in or around 1946-47?

Oh ok just wondered if it had corroded at all, I've had pheasant and rabbit with war issue grand prix's, then some others that have just gone phut haha.

Hopefully another member will be able to give you a bit more information, the 3 books I've got make no mention of cartridges by them. What's on the headstamp?

21 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Oh ok just wondered if it had corroded at all, I've had pheasant and rabbit with war issue grand prix's, then some others that have just gone phut haha.

Hopefully another member will be able to give you a bit more information, the 3 books I've got make no mention of cartridges by them. What's on the headstamp?

It’s just got special smokeless 12 on it.

AC5F1ABF-E915-453D-9792-083821C0C721.jpeg

What does surprise me is that this concept....the pneumatic wad...has been re-invented. It is basically (if in a 12 bore) a cardboard tube of approximately 16 bore cartride size about 1" long with a six point crimp at either end to form a thing that looks like a round hat box. Churchill's used to sell a lot of cartridges using this wad. Was it better? Or cheaper? Or more available than wool felt? Does anyone on PW know? I don't.

100-1462.jpg

I'd guess they were fairly modern, can't find anything on 'CHUBBS' in any of the books I've got.

Regarding the Chubb's cartridges. Chubbs are/were a respected company that's for sure. There is a Chubb's gun in Holt's March sale. The headstamp "Special Smokeless" is used by the Hull Cartridge Company on their bespoke or custom (horrible Americanism) cartridges they make for gunshops, estates, and etc. that wish have cartridges with their name on the case and the box.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=S0320+++5681+&refno=++150153&saletype=

Edited by enfieldspares

8 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

100-1462.jpg

Regarding the Chubb's cartridges. Chubbs are/were a respected company that's for sure. There is a Chubb's gun in Holt's March sale. The headstamp "Special Smokeless" is used by the Hull Cartridge Company on their bespoke or custom (horrible Americanism) cartridges they make for gunshops, estates, and etc. that wish have cartridges with their name on the case and the box.

Sorry, should have been clearer, all the books I have are regarding cartridges, I would guess at these being post 1970 which is probably why they aren't featured in the books.