Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to throw some light on a cartridge I possess please.

Sorry I cannot post pictures however, the cartridge is a 12-bore 2.5" in length silver metal case, which is nonmagnetic so I assume its aluminium, the only markings on the case is a figure 7 in blue ink/paint within 2 blue lines around the circumference of the case, a brass base stamped 12 FN Made in Belgium finished off with an eight star crimp closure.

Many thanks

Tim

Ok thanks for that,

I found this morning on the Imperial war museum site they list these shells as zinc cases loaded for tropical conditions as they were semi waterproof but as plastic cases became popular they were discontinued. The MOD contracted FN to produce zinc rolled turnover shells in SG for the browning auto 5 for issue during the Malayan emergency.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Merkel said:

Ok thanks for that,

I found this morning on the Imperial war museum site they list these shells as zinc cases loaded for tropical conditions as they were semi waterproof but as plastic cases became popular they were discontinued. The MOD contracted FN to produce zinc rolled turnover shells in SG for the browning auto 5 for issue during the Malayan emergency.

17 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

John Longstaff sold off a lot in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The 7 is, from memory, either the diameter of the shot in millimeters or the number of shot in the cartridge. I forget which. The then issued shotgun for the Malaya Emergency was the Browning FN Auto-5. 

Thank you both for providing that bit of extra knowledge 👍

• 4 weeks later...

IMG-20190625-WA0001.jpg.2412a12c23e79dee58448e0f94a0f613.jpg

On 12/03/2020 at 08:54, Mr. Merkel said:

Ok thanks for that,

I bought some of these at auction last year - my boxes have black stenciled writing on - BN/NK/201 - which somebody told me meant they had been military issue. Mine have 4SG/28B on the top card. from the art work on the box, they may have been originally intended for wild boar.

Edited by Lever357
add picture

I bought some cartridges at auction in February without viewing first but thought it worth a punt!

This is the box I got - I love Winchesters so was happy with the older boxes, somebody has stamped September 1969 on them!! - although they both contain only 12 cartridges. The Trap box has mostly other shells in and the Topmark box also has the wrong cartridges in. The Gamebore Buffalo is fairly recent and a full box of 12 gauge SG.

The two Gamebore boxes were loaded for Arthur Turner Gunmakers of Sheffield who I have since found out closed in 2000.

The jewel in the crown was the unopened, still with sealing tape on, box of Eley 7s featuring Jackie Stewart who at one point was as well known for his skill with a shotgun as much as a F1 car. These are super trap and they did different coloured boxes - blue, orange, red -for different disciplines! 

Okay - I have resized photos to 0.2MB and they still wont load!!

1 hour ago, Lever357 said:

I bought some cartridges at auction in February without viewing first but thought it worth a punt!

This is the box I got - I love Winchesters so was happy with the older boxes, somebody has stamped September 1969 on them!! - although they both contain only 12 cartridges. The Trap box has mostly other shells in and the Topmark box also has the wrong cartridges in. The Gamebore Buffalo is fairly recent and a full box of 12 gauge SG.

The two Gamebore boxes were loaded for Arthur Turner Gunmakers of Sheffield who I have since found out closed in 2000.

The jewel in the crown was the unopened, still with sealing tape on, box of Eley 7s featuring Jackie Stewart who at one point was as well known for his skill with a shotgun as much as a F1 car. These are super trap and they did different coloured boxes - blue, orange, red -for different disciplines! 

Okay - I have resized photos to 0.2MB and they still wont load!!

Try screen shotting it then uploading 👍

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Northernshot said:

New to the site, so I'll try posting some English shells I picked up over the years here in Canada. Starting with some Kynock Bonax shells in 10, 12 and 20 gauge.

Kynoch-Bonax 10-12-20.jpg

Eley Alphamax shells

Eley Alphamax.jpg

More Eley shells

Eley.jpg

Eley Grand Prix (one from Canada)

Eley Grand Prix.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing. Welcome to the site 👍

Can't beat a bit of vintage Eley 

2 hours ago, Northernshot said:

New to the site, so I'll try posting some English shells I picked up over the years here in Canada. Starting with some Kynock Bonax shells in 10, 12 and 20 gauge.

Kynoch-Bonax 10-12-20.jpg

Eley Alphamax shells

Eley Alphamax.jpg

More Eley shells

Eley.jpg

Eley Grand Prix (one from Canada)

Eley Grand Prix.jpg

Hi,did Eley Bros have any loading facility in Canada or were they loaded in UK ?

On 12/03/2020 at 05:38, Farmboy91 said:

Thank you both for providing that bit of extra knowledge 👍

I have come across a few of these FN shells over the years. The ones I have seen have been loaded with bird shot. Just pulled one out to take a look. Case length of mine is 2". Hope you enjoy the pics.

20200531_083212_resized[1].jpg

20200531_083303_resized[1].jpg

20200531_083147_resized[1].jpg

Do you have any examples of Canuck plastic cased cartridges ? They were sold here in the 70`s after the explosion at Eley`s factory ,along with various overseas loaded Eley ammunition.Particularly liked the Dove & Quail load.

1 hour ago, matone said:

Do you have any examples of Canuck plastic cased cartridges ? They were sold here in the 70`s after the explosion at Eley`s factory ,along with various overseas loaded Eley ammunition.Particularly liked the Dove & Quail load.

The plastic Canuck shells that I have are made by CIL (Canadian Industries Limited). Here are 2 boxes that show the changeover from paper to plastic on the Canucks.

Canuck box 1.jpg

Just now, Northernshot said:

The plastic Canuck shells that I have are made by CIL (Canadian Industries Limited). Here are 2 boxes that show the changeover from paper to plastic on the Canucks.

Canuck box 1.jpg

Here are some in 20 Gauge plastic.

Canuck box 2.jpg

6 hours ago, Northernshot said:

I have come across a few of these FN shells over the years. The ones I have seen have been loaded with bird shot. Just pulled one out to take a look. Case length of mine is 2". Hope you enjoy the pics.

20200531_083212_resized[1].jpg

20200531_083303_resized[1].jpg

20200531_083147_resized[1].jpg

Very much so, look forward to seeing some more 👍