Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winchester made a 'model 59' shotgun that was chambered and designed around an experimental 14 Ga aluminum shot shell made at the Winchester-Western's Alton, Ill. plant. As I understand it, the guns never made it to market but there are shells around for them that were made. Here is one I have. Strangely Winchester called this a 14, however the case is probably closer to a 18 Ga.

20200606_080041[1].jpg

20200606_080113[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, Northernshot said:

Winchester made a 'model 59' shotgun that was chambered and designed around an experimental 14 Ga aluminum shot shell made at the Winchester-Western's Alton, Ill. plant. As I understand it, the guns never made it to market but there are shells around for them that were made. Here is one I have. Strangely Winchester called this a 14, however the case is probably closer to a 18 Ga.

20200606_080041[1].jpg

20200606_080113[1].jpg

Now that is smart.

I'd imagine it wouldn't take alot to lose that lovely red writing though.

3 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Without sounding daft, how blue is it? I know mine is pretty faded so im not sure what it originally looked like.

Sorry, I’m cracking up, just been and checked,  I meant Red Rival! I’ve looked at so many this morning. I do remember using Blue Rivals in ‘60’s and they were not a dark blue but pale. I was trying to find my rabbit clearance cartridge but didn’t find it.

Ahh ok, I was just looking at Anglia Cartridge Co in British Cartridge manufacturers loaders and retailers and couldn't see anything about a blue rival, thought something had slipped through the net!

I did think they would be fairly pale going by what's left of the one I have.

I inherited some old 20 bore Eley paper cartridges, they're in pretty bad shape, one has a split brass, most have some green fuzz, and some have the primer that's pushed in slightly. They were left out in a shed for however many decades. Are they safe to keep around?

The gun that came with them is in slightly better condition, but the damascus barrels have pitted like nobody's business!

3 hours ago, Opossum said:

I inherited some old 20 bore Eley paper cartridges, they're in pretty bad shape, one has a split brass, most have some green fuzz, and some have the primer that's pushed in slightly. They were left out in a shed for however many decades. Are they safe to keep around?

The gun that came with them is in slightly better condition, but the damascus barrels have pitted like nobody's business!

I'd imagine they'd be fine as long as you wasn't planning on shooting them 😂

I've got a few ropey ones that have came as part of other collections, just bunged them in the cupboard with all the rest. I wouldn't worry to much.

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I'd imagine they'd be fine as long as you wasn't planning on shooting them 😂

I've got a few ropey ones that have came as part of other collections, just bunged them in the cupboard with all the rest. I wouldn't worry to much.

ah cheers. I've had them kicking around for a few years but I checked them recently and they're way worse than I remembered! It'd be fun to try to fire some off but I don't have a (non-fudged) 20 bore

Just now, London Best said:

They will probably fire just fine.

Incidentally, do you realise they are quite safe even if you chuck them on the living room fire?

🤔🤔🙄

Unless the primer pops out !!!

not something to recommend I’m sure there’s plenty of better ways to get rid 

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

They will probably fire just fine.

Incidentally, do you realise they are quite safe even if you chuck them on the living room fire?

I'd read that people chuck them onto fires, I'd rather keep them for sentimental purposes i suppose!

27 minutes ago, Opossum said:

ah cheers. I've had them kicking around for a few years but I checked them recently and they're way worse than I remembered! It'd be fun to try to fire some off but I don't have a (non-fudged) 20 bore

An rfd should take them for disposal or failing that the local firearms dept if you did want rid of them. 

Have you tried cleaning any of them up to see if that can be saved, if only for display? 

21 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Best wait for this lockdown to ease of and have a day out if you want another 😂😂

Saving it for that special bird aren't I 😉