Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Mr. Merkel said:

Thats really good, an interesting comment about being adapted from war time .303 cases which probably did start off straight.

Tim

They loaded up 12 bores aswell called Mettax 

Don't know if any actually ended up in the hands of the public though.

13 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

They loaded up 12 bores aswell called Mettax 

I have an empty Greener 12/14 bore Police Shotgun cartridge which is all brass but I think that would have started life as that cartridge becauce of the brooved base/head.

Sorry for the typos that should read because of the grooved base/head

Tim

3690111E-736E-4E66-ACD8-DFE9B6935169.jpeg.22b63f8ea448652971968b7c76f65550.jpegA couple of two inch fourtens.

Aluminium case, head stamped ‘MADE IN BELGIUM .410

andEC68583E-F120-4828-8BF4-EF34490BB9EB.jpeg.1c208c988d3677f486293b3c2b790626.jpeg601FAB6B-4978-4170-BD9F-E428B4D9D735.jpeg.b4172d0d7d49c213fadf1464741affc5.jpeg

HAND LOADED BY THE MIDLAND GUN CO. BIRMINGHAM, ENG .410, head stamped GASTIGHT .410

Edited by London Best

I was looking for an odd one of these for ages after seeing a spent one on the shelf at a visit to  Wabbitboshers, ended up finding two full boxes. 

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

I was looking for an odd one of these for ages after seeing a spent one on the shelf at a visit to  Wabbitboshers, ended up finding two full boxes. 

Screenshot_20200620-085551~2.png

Love the continental designs, especially German and French. Will branch out my collection to include some in the future. For some less picturesque but I suspect quite old examples here's a green 20 bore 'Kynoch's Patent Perfectly Gas-Tight Cartridge Case'. It's got a plain pink overshot card. Head stamped 'Kynoch, 20, Birmingham'. The blue one is a 14 bore Eley London. Numbered overshot (six) and Eley London headstamp. 

Eley20BEdit.jpg

Eley14BEdit.jpg

18 hours ago, Northernshot said:

For some reason, Kynochs an Eleys are still my favorite.

Here is a Beaux from Italy

BEAUX Italy.jpg

Ad Jansen from Belgium

Ad Jansen Belgium.jpg

and a Trent from Great Britain.

Trent 12 Ga.jpg

Very nice, it seems that mainland Europe had more/held onto the ornate designs longer whereas in the UK there was a period of them and now they're all quite plain.  I wonder if it's anything to do with the volume used? In France/Belgium/Germany for instance I think they perhaps have a tradition of using a lower volume of cartridges due to their styles of hunting. It would make sense to still put the effort in with a nice design when you're not burning through a number of slabs in an outing. Indeed smaller packs of 10 or even 5 cartridges look more popular abroad which may tie into that. 

It's not an area I'm very knowledgeable on but that's a few thoughts that others may be able to weigh in on?