box of Jeffery of Guildford
box of Egham gun centre

singles Elton of Darlington

turners red rapid

Like the Winchesters,especially the buckshot

• 4 months later...

hi folks

I acquired a number of older cartridges as part of a job lot

possibly a basic question, but how safe are old cartridges to shoot. Can these be used on clays etc (obviously ground dependant and on private land due to weight of loads).

I don't have any interest in collectability, but if any one interested happy to swap for "modern" cartridges 

pictures attached just a selection example.

cheers

Si

pw2.jpg

pw1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never seen such a large brass Dan Arms - I presume it's a game cartridge??? When I started shooting in the late 80s I used Dan Arms 7.5,8 and 9s but never kept a full box of any of them!!!

Can never have too many Winchesters!!!

Good luck with the collecting.

On 12/10/2021 at 21:43, Farmboy91 said:

Had to put it in for reference 😂

Not sure exactly where I’m going to display them yet.

I know what you mean Farmboy - I have a friend who is an RFD dealing from home and he rang recently and said,"You like signs don't you, wait until you see what I have for you!!"

Horn.jpg

7 hours ago, Lever357 said:

Never seen such a large brass Dan Arms - I presume it's a game cartridge??? When I started shooting in the late 80s I used Dan Arms 7.5,8 and 9s but never kept a full box of any of them!!!

I know what you mean Farmboy - I have a friend who is an RFD dealing from home and he rang recently and said,"You like signs don't you, wait until you see what I have for you!!"

Horn.jpg

Very nice 👍 

I’ve got a reproduction Kynoch sign, only a small one though. The originals are commanding silly money.

20 hours ago, Lever357 said:

Horn.jpg

Yes dan arms double magnum shot size 3 I've made it out to be unsure on the load size. Funnily enough. When i first got my cert I rushed out to buy the first 1000 cartridges I could in my haste to get out shooting and picked up a 1000 dan arms 28gram 7.5s high velocity £175/1000 never felt or have seen   a more punchy/confetti cartridge since made a terrible mess in the barrels of my new browning at the time. Still make a cracking pigeon cartridges tho if they are still available.

1 hour ago, Stephen-H said:

Yes dan arms double magnum shot size 3 I've made it out to be unsure on the load size. Funnily enough. When i first got my cert I rushed out to buy the first 1000 cartridges I could in my haste to get out shooting and picked up a 1000 dan arms 28gram 7.5s high velocity £175/1000 never felt or have seen   a more punchy/confetti cartridge since made a terrible mess in the barrels of my new browning at the time. Still make a cracking pigeon cartridges tho if they are still available.

They would be a fairly recent cartridge Stephen that was made,I think,by Express. The original Dan Arms like your no3 were made in Denmark in the 1980s. I have a Dan Arms shotgun. I believe the company folded when the directors departed with grant money they had received from Danish government!

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some lots at auction in September and this was one of the finds of the day. The headstamp states made in the USA and the case itself states loaded in the UK which dates the box to pre 1946 which is when Remingtons UK branch was declared bankrupt. Another collector I know estimates them to be from the period 1936 to 1939. For their age, they are mint!!

Rem.jpg

Rem2.jpg

Rem3.jpg

I am hoping you guys may be able to help in a little info.

just opened a full box of Hull comp x 28gram bought as a job lot of mixed boxes and found these metal cased cartridges (6 of the small 7 shot and 19 of the longer 4 shot)!

obviously someone had stored in a sealed box as top of the box wasn't tampered but you can open the bottom of the box easily.

There are 2 types a longer 12gauge metal (aluminium?) case made in Nederland- 4 shot 32 gram, The second type made in Belgium steel case and crimp 7 shot and assuming 34gram (weighing cartridge before and after shooting.

Out of curiosity did try and shoot, the small 7 shot worked fine, but longer 4 shot, primer didn't work

Any ideas of make and date ?? have tried searching google and can only find a site in USA that has the steel crimped (6 shot) for sale but no additional info

many thanks in advance.

Si

car1.jpg

car5.jpg

car6.jpg

car2.jpg

car4.jpg

Edited by Si.F
additional info

• 3 weeks later...

The cases resemble the British military issue FN Browning made buckshot loads. These were sold off in scores by John L Longstaff of Pudsey in the late 1970s and early 1980s in ten round red and silver boxes ovestamped with their British Army inventory part number. Are you ceratin (I assume you opened a case and saw the shot) that the "7" isn't the number of shot and that on the Dutch that the "4" isn't a reference to them being No 4 buckshot aka AAA or somesuch I think from memory?