Cartridge Collecting

16 hours ago, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

The firm was actually called Abbeyshot, They made their own shot, had their own shot tower on the banks of the tyne, They loaded their own cartridges and I think they did loading for others as this one might suggest.

Abbeyshot 1-3.JPG

Abbeyshot 1-4.JPG

Were they trading for long ?

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, matone said:

Were they trading for long ?

They were trading in 1908 till 1912 when Eley bought them out for their shot making facility, so cartridge manufacture would have stopped then.

9 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Yes the HYMAX were a very good cartridge in their day, I shot lots of them. Then went over to HULL ULTRAMAX as I liked them even more.

I liked Eley Maximum, could use in my old G Clyde Bell hammer gun without worry, The hymax was just too much for it. Still got full boxes of the maximums in the garage, (plastics)

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

We have used 100s of the middle one ( Yellow Wizard ) , the smell of the burnt powder in the empty case still linger in my mind , at the time we paid 12/6d or 62 1/2p if my maths is right , the same price we paid for Eley Grand Prix .

I also noticed you had a box of Hymax in one of your posts , another brilliant cartridge at the time , not as dear as Alphamax but a bit dearer than the Eley Maximum , all good wildfowling cartridges.

Funny you say that,  I was thinking same thing, my first old gun I got when I was 11yrs old came with a few boxes of pre war grand prix nobels, and smoke and smells linger on in my memory. But I remember using baikals azot from Russia and they either kicked like a mule  with a massive flash from the muzzles or didnt have the powder in them to clear the barrels, wadding whatever was used came back to earth on fire. no wonder they were cheap as chips.

9 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Gogswell and Harrison cartridge trade label 1900

Feltwad

100_1442.jpg

Thats a nice old advert

10 hours ago, figgy said:

WR,Papes shop looks a lot like Purdy's in south Audley street.,  just without the marble and granite facade.

Pape was aalso a property developer in Newcastle, You can occasionally spot his name in stone on top of large city buildings, maybe he copied Purdys  building.

7 hours ago, Cartridge-collector2708195 said:

They were trading in 1908 till 1912 when Eley bought them out for their shot making facility, so cartridge manufacture would have stopped then.

I liked Eley Maximum, could use in my old G Clyde Bell hammer gun without worry, The hymax was just too much for it. Still got full boxes of the maximums in the garage, (plastics)

Thankyou. A relatively short trading period,explains the scarcity of them now !

I`m still using Maximums too !lol.

Edited by matone

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:00, hanky said:

These were shot by Royalty but dont know who?

Purdey 001.JPG

Purdey 002.JPG

Hi hanky ...... I have found a used cartridge in my cabinet that the D / O / Edinburgh used on one of our shooting days ( already mentioned in a previous post ) , you are more than welcome to it if you want it .SAM_7230.jpg

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have a friend with a big bag of old cartridges, whats the position on posting to a buyer?? 

If they're loaded or primed they are HAZMAT, so you can't send them by post, there may be a carrier that will take them, but most will not!