Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

Can't seem to find that headstamp, although the London ones I can find are atleast 100 years old.

This one is 1924-1927 

Later than I thought ,I guess the one piece cases were a later development....recyclable too,wonder what they`d cost to make now??????

31 minutes ago, matone said:

Later than I thought ,I guess the one piece cases were a later development....recyclable too,wonder what they`d cost to make now??????

If you pm me an email address I'll send you a picture of the dates from the book I've got if you want.

I'd guess if the factories were tooled up for it, it would be more expensive than plastic but far cheaper than the new paper ones they sell.

22 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

If you pm me an email address I'll send you a picture of the dates from the book I've got if you want.

I'd guess if the factories were tooled up for it, it would be more expensive than plastic but far cheaper than the new paper ones they sell.

Thanks but I don`t doubt your date !!!!! 

I started in about, I think it was 1963, when I was given a tea chest full of old cartridges which had been ‘ liberated’ from somewhere. All sorts in there, old rook rifle stuff, the lot. Then in a moment of madness I gave the lot away some time around 1990. I started again when I started doing a lot of loading on a really serious shoot and many, most, of the guests/clients had top class guns and often used the makers cartridges. I prefer to find the older stuff though, more interesting. I will have to dig out that rabbit cartridge and look if it says anything else on it.

I was talking to a bloke in a gun shop once, he had a few swaps and was telling me they were what was left of an old boys collection, all the full boxes had gone to an rfd, 99% of the odd ones and twos were chucked on a fire as the bloke clearing them out didn't think the would be worth anything! 

I don't even like to think about what went on that fire 😬

Have you got a list of what your looking for?

Short answer, no!

To be fair, I am pretty casual about it and just take what comes.

I have a fair few duplicates though. Must get round to cataloguing what they are. Like I’ve been busy doing nowt for 9 weeks.

Edited by London Best

22 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

That sounds like a collects dream! 

I much prefer older bits too, anything from East Anglia and particularly Suffolk, it's nice to hold a little peice of local history.

From Suffolk I guess!

DSCF1088.JPG

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

Short answer, no!

To be fair, I am pretty casual about it and just take what comes.

I have a fair few duplicates though. Must get round to cataloguing what they are. Like I’ve been busy doing nowt for 9 weeks.

Once you have PM me a list, never know what might turn up and more than happy to keep an eye out.

8 minutes ago, matone said:

From Suffolk I guess!

DSCF1088.JPG

Not seen that once before, thanks for sharing 👍

36 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Once you have PM me a list, never know what might turn up and more than happy to keep an eye out.

Not seen that once before, thanks for sharing 👍

Relatively modern Hull Cartridge loading.

Thank you.

There was a box of 14 gauge in the tea chest I mentioned. I sold them to a guy with a 14 gauge gun without realising their rarity!

I note your New Rival and Blue Rivals are both marked ‘Winchester’. We used to get Blue Rivals and Red Rivals in UK in the sixties, (and maybe earlier?). I do not remember them being marked Winchester. Were they the same?  Does anyone else recall?

I'm fairly sure that Winchester never made a 'Red Rival'. There was 'Rival' only, 'NEW', 'BLUE', and 'YELLOW' on the Head stamps for the Rival series according to my Winchester shot shell book. I have a few of the old brass 14 gauge Winchesters, but have not been firing them. I have a friend who is a fellow 14 Gauge gun owner, and he has been reloading some of my old 14 ga. Greener shells (straight case version, not the necked down police gun profile). Not many 14 guns still being used around here anymore.