Cartridge Collecting

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Northernshot said:

Another size comparison of gauges 24, 28, 32 (14mm), 28 (12mm)

20200607_073313_resized[1].jpg

Unfortunately I have yet to pick up an 18 Gauge!

Well, that trumps my one 32 bore!

Interesting that the 32 gauge is referred to as 14mm and the .410 as 12mm. I think these are the continental Europe sizes where the outside of the case is measured. 14mm is actually the exact size in the bore for a 28 gauge and, of course, .410 is actually 10,4mm. Sometimes the .410 is labelled as 36 gauge, which is just plain wrong.

I believe the 32 gauge is much more common in North America than in UK.

Over the years most that I picked up were 2-5 Canadian dollars. Most I ever paid was 40 for a 4 Ga Winchester.

Here is an interesting one that I paid about 20 for a few years ago. It is the only English slug round I have. A Kynoch Sallinoid. I just noticed that there is a number on the slug. Ckeck this out.

Sallinoid 4.jpg

Sallinoid 3.jpg

Sallinoid 5.jpg

Sallinoid 2.jpg

41 minutes ago, Northernshot said:

Over the years most that I picked up were 2-5 Canadian dollars. Most I ever paid was 40 for a 4 Ga Winchester.

Here is an interesting one that I paid about 20 for a few years ago. It is the only English slug round I have. A Kynoch Sallinoid. I just noticed that there is a number on the slug. Ckeck this out.

Sallinoid 4.jpg

Sallinoid 3.jpg

Sallinoid 5.jpg

Sallinoid 2.jpg

Pricing seems similar giving the exchange rate. I've yet to stump up more than a fiver haha

Time for some fun. This is a very interesting Dominion Imperial 16 Ga shell. They usually didn't have a black band on them, but this one does. Do you know what that represented? 

Look close at the pictures and you may figure it out . I'll share a little later if nobody knows.

20200607_171645[1].jpg

20200607_171827_resized[1].jpg

20200607_171617[1].jpg

This shell was designated as a factory second by quality control, as there was a slight deformity to the top brass. I'm told that unlike other ammunition manufacturers, Dominion did not sell these on the market as seconds. Instead they were labeled as seconds (marked with a black band) and were given out only to employees for self use if the shells were deemed safe. I received about 10 of these from a former Dominion employee. This shells was manufactured in 1949.

20200607_171827_resizer.jpg