Crow decoys

12 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

if they dont want to decoy, it does not matter what you have on the deck. 

Think that applies to all! You can decoy them to where they want to be or to where they do not mind being, if they do not want to be there you could put out 200 decoys and they will still not land.

7 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Think that applies to all! You can decoy them to where they want to be or to where they do not mind being, if they do not want to be there you could put out 200 decoys and they will still not land.

They also aren't stupid, ive had crow look like they are set on auto pilot to come in the turn off as if they know its decoy not real 

6 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

They also aren't stupid, ive had crow look like they are set on auto pilot to come in the turn off as if they know its decoy not real 

Very true, one morning on fresh sown barley, everything was going well and the birds were coming like they were on rails, then a rook got to about 70 yards and turned back when this happened twice more I got out of the hide. It was clear that my decoys ( on 12" sticks ) were casting shadows in the early low sun, took them all off the sticks,got back in the hide and the birds started coming in again! I do not think a pigeon would have noticed this.

29 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Very true, one morning on fresh sown barley, everything was going well and the birds were coming like they were on rails, then a rook got to about 70 yards and turned back when this happened twice more I got out of the hide. It was clear that my decoys ( on 12" sticks ) were casting shadows in the early low sun, took them all off the sticks,got back in the hide and the birds started coming in again! I do not think a pigeon would have noticed this.

Would real birds not have thrown shadows?

18 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I have used fuds to good effect, but crows aren't stupid, if they dont want to decoy, it does not matter what you have on the deck. 

Many thanks. Usually have full bodied flocks delivered with all else to the spot in the truck but at the moment we're 'locked out' by standing silage and it was all too much for these old legs.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

They would, but if on 12in poles they would have monster shadows. Also dead birds belly up also freak crows out and they don't come near either. 

I shot crows, Jackdaws and rooks as well as wood pigeon over the weekend, the shadows did not worry them at all!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Been drinking!