Rhodes holiday advice

holly

Guest stevo

It’s windy ( not just a breeze )  All day. Every day. So take good sun protection as always when there is a constant wind you seem to burn much quicker. As you don’t feel hot. 

Edited by stevo

Pefkos or Lindos, stayed 3 times in Pefkos lovely welcoming resort ,and Lindos is a great place with the castle and old town .Plenty for the history buffs and soo many great places to eat and drink.These fellows carry fat tourists of the boats upto the castle poor things some of them yanks like pie:lol:

SAM_1797.JPG

Edited by clakk

Valley of the butterflies is nice, so is the abandoned town on the west side! Rhodes old town has a nice fortress and last time I was there the aquarium was kinda ok too. Lindos beach is nice for a swim, and the church on top of the hill is worth a visit too. Loads to see really if you look about! 

Have a look at Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa, just got back last night after 14 nights. This is our fifth trip to this hotel and booked to go back whilst we were still there. As for Faliraki, it’s not as it used to be. It’s only busy for 8 weeks of the year (July- August) every time we have driven through its like a ghost town. The youngsters have gone onto bigger and better nightlife. Lindos is lovely to see the Acropolis. Rhodes old walled town is also lovely with narrow twisty streets and dates back to the knights Templar. Another must is the island of Symi. A 2 hour boat trip from Rhodes harbour the houses cling to the hillside until they meet the harbour where there are some lovely restaurants in which to sit and watch the world go by. If you want any pictures or more info inbox me and I’ll be happy to help where I can 

atb Andy 

9 hours ago, stevo said:

It’s windy ( not just a breeze )  All day. Every day. So take good sun protection as always when there is a constant wind you seem to burn much quicker. As you don’t feel hot. 

I think that you'll find only the North West part of Rhodes is constantly windy, namely Ixia and Trianta Bay. 

As said, Lindos is lovely (and hot). A trip to Simi is worthwhile contemplating.

Have a good holiday,

OB

13 hours ago, fister said:

Been going there for 39 years and I’m 39 years old ?. Going again this year for my 40th! I have stayed all over the place from North to South on both coasts. These days I stick to the North for a bit more varied cosmopolitan environment. Down south mid island like Lindos is still nice but most resorts, especially Faliraki are no longer like the rumour mill paints them out to be. You have to really like heat to be comfy in Lindos, that big **** off rock under the acropolis is baked hot by the sun every day and acts like a huge heat store for an averge 5 degree temperature increase over most other spots for similar weather, there is far less wind on the east cost too. Symi is nice but dont believe the sponges are from anywhere local? days gone by?

there are many great places in greece, relaxed and generally warm friendly people , I re-visit Rhodes regulalry as It feels like a home from home and my oldest friends are there, we have been since we were kids and they were my best men, I got married there too.......still going there with the new woman too ?????????

my favourite hotel is Amathus Beach, partly for the childhood memories, Rodos and Olympic Palaces too, Prasonisi for the windsurfing with my Dad and Pefki for my first experience (I was 10 years old) seeing a seriously fit starkers German Chick ( prbably about 25 at the time in hindisght).

Kalithea is a wonderful beach for the day but get there early, as is St.Pauls Bay in Lindos.

I stay In Kalithea these days because its a great compromise for weather and location (you will rarely see a single cloud in July or August) and compact hire cars are inexpensive at about €40/50 a day, less than mororbikes these days almost.

go up into the mountains to see pofitas illeas, an italian ski chalet in the sun. Food is good in most places and you dont get scammed for anything including taxis that are all fixed fares (rhodes town to Lindos is about €75) which has got high so hire a car, it’s cheaper even for one day.

i could go on, just ask if you want to know more?

I spent my honeymoon at the amathus beach. Stunning hotel and service and the views were out of this world. Love old Rhodes Town. Cracking fish  restaurant in the old town but cant remeber the name. Some really nice areas.