Clay shooting in scotland

decoy1979

Heading up to Scotland (Pitlochry) at the end of the month and debating whether to take the gun along.

Can anyone recommend any sporting shooting grounds within say an hours travel that are worth visiting?

I've found county clays at Dunkeld, is this any good?

Ta

As John mentioned there is also NSC at Falkirk which would be a little over an hour from Pitlochry, there is also Cluny Clays near Kirkcaldy which is about 60 mins away.

Auchterhouse is the closest that do pay and play and it is a good ground.

How long are you in Pitlochry for?

Would second auchterhouse, run down to Dunkeld and then through to Blairgowrie and onto Auchterhouse goes through some nice country.

Compact English Sporting layout with good  high towers, compac sporting, skeet and dtl layout are all well used. 

They stock Fiocchi shells if required at a reasonable price.

4 hours ago, grrclark said:

As John mentioned there is also NSC at Falkirk which would be a little over an hour from Pitlochry, there is also Cluny Clays near Kirkcaldy which is about 60 mins away.

Auchterhouse is the closest that do pay and play and it is a good ground.

How long are you in Pitlochry for?

Will be there for a week.

2 hours ago, decoy1979 said:

Will be there for a week.

There is a possibility that there may be a good fun 50 bird sporting on the last Saturday of the month at a nearby estate.  If it is confirmed I will pop a post in this thread.

If it is on it will be a good fun shoot with good people, a bbq and as cheap as chips.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've got to say the advice was spot on gents! 

My son and I visited Auchterhouse last week and the whole experience was very good. From the minute we walked in the door we were made very welcome and really enjoyed the sporting and compak layouts. Only 3 no birds in just over 200 clays so pretty good too!

I was a little surprised by how quiet it was, we went mid week, must have been there two hours plus and only saw a handful of other people out shooting, but that's better than having to queue at stands or feeling pressured to move on.

The lack of description on stands makes the first pair interesting but I'm more if an instinct shooter anyway so perhaps suited Me.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone planning on visiting the area and thanks again for suggesting it! 

Yeah, it tends to be quiet during the week especially in the mornings and early afternoon. Busy Wednesday evenings and the weekends, as they're usually hosting a comp of one type or another, plus the pay and play sporting.  

No descriptions, I think because they'er changing quite often, which is why I'm a member there rather than the others of similar distance for me, as it's always a challenge, I also prefer to buy my ammo there. 

As I'm usually shooting solo I'm shooting with the delay on, so I just shoot the pairs. For me the apprehension of each new stand really gets the juices going and getting on the first unseen pair never fails to brighten my mood.