About turn on diesel vehicles

loriusgarrulus

I asked at my local garage earlier this week and the mechanic says they haven't been told anything or even got any new paperwork, let alone being trained for the new regs. He is as confused as we are!

From what I have heard though, is if your vehicle fails with a major, as opposed to a minor fault, you are not allowed to drive it away, it has to be recovered to where ever the repair will take place. Many people use council run MOT stations and garages that only do MOT tests and no repairs, so its some thing to take into consideration.

I under stand that any smoke will be an automatic fail, but I dont know if this is considered a major or minor fault

Edited by Flyboy1950

Why do we put up with all this clap trap, we are but a small island and it will make no difference on a world scale. Environmental is just another word for Tax. It was not that long ago we were all told Diesel is good, then when everyone is driving a diesel it's bad, and don't even get me started on electric power. If we all used that the cost of Electricity would go through the roof in tax on it, and the pedestrian accidents would go sky high becouse you can't hear the things comming.

4 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I understand diesel vehicles with the Particulate Filter removed will from Sunday, fail the MOT Test?........Also any smoke from the exhaust will also mean a fail? Anyone confirm?

if it has a DPF fitted its a fail, if your car does not have a DPF fitted by the manufacturer like mine its not

30 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

if it has a DPF fitted its a fail, if your car does not have a DPF fitted by the manufacturer like mine its not

Phew, mine smokes and its due a test in the next month, its a 2005 so doesn't have a PDF, I was hoping to get another year out of it.

I've just bought a new Diesel vehicle and it has the latest technology to reduce emissions.

It has an ADBlue tank that squirts into the exhaust system to reduce harmful emissions when being driven.

Fantastic thinks I :-) but guess what the road tax was/is ???

£1240 :-(  :-(

Diesel vehicles only cause damaging pollution in the towns. In the country the particulates, which are microscopic solids, fall to the ground eventually and become inert. In any case, it is the fuel not the engine that is at fault. Diesel engines can run on almost any oil.  

On 17/05/2018 at 21:26, harrycatcat1 said:

Phew, mine smokes and its due a test in the next month, its a 2005 so doesn't have a PDF, I was hoping to get another year out of it.

Just got another years test after needing a ball joint, new number plates (major fail) suspension spring and strut and a number plate bulb. It flew through the emissions and its done 135,000 miles. £360 not bad for another years running.