About turn on diesel vehicles

loriusgarrulus

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I feel sorry for the people who have removed their DPFs and had a remap to accommodate , as its an instant fail, whether its smoking or not.

Your average mot tester wouldn't know either way so I wouldn't be too worried about it. 

1 hour ago, Luckyshot said:

Your average mot tester wouldn't know either way so I wouldn't be too worried about it. 

It will come up on the computer the car should have a dpf, so the tester is then looking for visible smoke ,which would fail it, as he visually checks the exhaust he will notice whether or not it has one,they are usually quite obvious!

39 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

It will come up on the computer the car should have a dpf, so the tester is then looking for visible smoke ,which would fail it, as he visually checks the exhaust he will notice whether or not it has one,they are usually quite obvious!

Most vehicles that have had their dpf  removed leave the casing there and with additives I could get nearly any diesel vehicle to pass a smoke test.  

26 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

Most vehicles that have had their dpf  removed leave the casing there and with additives I could get nearly any diesel vehicle to pass a smoke test.  

And what might they be??....or is it a trade secret??

1 hour ago, Luckyshot said:

Some DPFs you can smash the ceramic out and get away with not altering the casing, a lot of them are simply removed, and replaced with a similar sized pipe or box.
Others are cut open and welded back up, after having the innards removed, and no amount of additives are going to bring the ppms down to virtually nothing.
I would read the link above to what the new regs say, any evidence of tampering = fail.

What above clearly shows is we haven't got a clue (nor does Government) about the rules now or going forward. However as someone who has just dumped two diesel cars for petrol I noticed an article about work done by Bosch which will reduce diesel emissions by nearly two thirds - this is an engineered fix which not only slashed emissions but also improved MPG and BHP. In another article it appears VW have a similar fix - possibly the same - and this may mean the 400,000 cars sitting in the USA (fiddle buy-back) can be brought back and sold.