Photo ID Rant

fern01

I went into Nat West today to deposit a largish cheque and withdraw some cash.

All went well until when asked for further ID I presented my SGC

This was refused as it was "not on their list" despite being signed and approved by the Chief Constable

5 hours ago, boarder said:

I did the very same in Lloyds and they responded with "wow, we don't get many of these as ID but it's definitely allowed as one of the most trusted forms of ID"

You bid not have the gun under your arm at the time did you?

26 minutes ago, Sian said:

Ridiculous that a bank wouldn’t use it, it’s a recognised important form of ID to get a Diclosure (CRB)

Yes your 100% correct but SGC in a bank as ID??? 

A bit like provincial bank notes if they arent commonly seen a fake wont be picked up. Most shops will virtually never see a fan or sgc and have no practical means of verifying it.

On the same note it drives me round the twist trying to get english notes before trips home as the notes issued by the northern irish and scottish banks are almost unusable, but if I had a buisness at home I sure as hell wouldnt take provincial notes. Equally valid yes, equally secure definitely not because of lack of familiarity. 

Edited by Wb123

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I'd be well & truly knackered, my certs are the only form of ID I've got with a photo...

That is why I took it as my passport has expired and I have no intention of renewing it.

My driving license is one of the old paper ones with no photo and they accepted that.

During this time my Debit card was verified in their card reading machine.

I just feel it was a PC anti shooting move by Nat West.

1 hour ago, rec-baller said:

I presented my f.a.c as a proof of i.d in a mobile phone shop and they refused it as a form of I.d !! 

I did the same and they said "WOW! we don't get many of those. They are the top form of ID."

7 hours ago, fern01 said:

That is why I took it as my passport has expired and I have no intention of renewing it.

My driving license is one of the old paper ones with no photo and they accepted that.

During this time my Debit card was verified in their card reading machine.

I just feel it was a PC anti shooting move by Nat West.

I'm the same, and they (Lloyds) wouldn't accept a passport a few weeks after expiry.

Is it because the new ones have a printed photo and look very much like something a savvy teenager could knock up?

There is also no reference with the signature so anyone could have signed it. 

I'm sure a quick call could have confirmed its authenticity though. 

On 17/05/2018 at 20:31, The gouse said:

You bid not have the gun under your arm at the time did you?

Yes your 100% correct but SGC in a bank as ID??? 

Why not it’s got your photo, your signature and other details.  It’s more likely they just have a list of more common ID to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to go to Lloyds Bank today - and although only drawing a modest amount of cash, I was asked for photo ID.  Last time I used my passport, but it was declined as it was (a couple of weeks) out of date.  It is now a couple of months out of date.

This time I tried to use my SGC - and it was declined.  Although I was allowed to cash my cheque (comparison of signature with records), the clerk (who was very pleasant and helpful) told me that they are officially not allowed by their rules to accept SGC.  Valid Passport, Photo Driving Licence, Northern Ireland Voters Card, Disabled Photo Card are the photo IDs allowed.

In the event you don't have these, some alternatives (non photo Driving License being one) are allowed under some circumstances, but SCG is not recognised.  Clerk didn't know why, as he confirmed it used to be allowed, but no longer on their list of things they can accept.

Different organisations have different lists of which ID they should accept, and even if passport isn’t on it then they won’t accept it. 

I tried to use mine in a local building society ( as its often in my vehicle ) when I tried to deposit some cash. Relevant to their ‘money laundering’ policy they asked for ID, and my ticket was all I had. When I offered to go and get it from my vehicle, They wouldn’t accept it even after explaining that it was recognised as a valid form of ID and that it would require a 25 mile round trip for me to return.

I have subsequently closed my account with them, not for this reason alone, but i gave it as one of them when I was asked why. 

During the foot and mouth outbreak I applied to work for DEFRA as was, they accepted my ticket at first but pulled me in a few months down the line and asked for my driving licence for ID I explained it was old style licence so no photo anyway rules is rules so driving licence it was. ?