Help needed please.

jam1e

I was measuring the rounds to just off the lands by removing the ejector and firing pin.

However, while putting the bolt together, the role pin that holds the ejector in place shot across the garage... ?

I've tried to find it 3 times with a torch on my hands and knees, with no joy...

So i'm after help finding someone who has one for sale, as in one of the RFD's on here maybe? Or anyone who knows where i can get a basic item like this..

The roll pin is 2.54mm or 0.100" wide. And 7mm long, or 0.275" long.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Jamie 

13 minutes ago, old man said:

Respectfully, don't proceed any further with this. I'm hoping that I misunderstood you? 

I'm puzzled by your response Old Man? I've done the same with my Tikka TAC1 with no issues. It's no big job. The extractor sits on top of a spring on the bolt face. The extractor has a cut out, the small role pin slides in and keeps the extractor in place. With respect, why is it such a big deal in your eyes?

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by jam1e

1 minute ago, jam1e said:

I'm puzzled by your response Old Man? I've done the same with my Tikka TAC1 with no issues. It's no big job. The extractor sits on top of a spring on the bolt face. The extractor has a cut out, the small role pin slides in and keeps the extractor in place. With respect, why is it such a big deal in your eyes?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie, that was not my concern. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Depends whether you mean a `Spring Pin` which is a single coil split longitudinally or a `Roll Pin` which is for heavier duty applications and wraps around for a couple of turns or more.

2.54mm is a non-preferred size so its probably a 2.5mm. They appear oversize (2.54) as they are designed to be an interference fit in a 2.5mm hole. Plenty on the bay of evil, cheep as chips but you might have to buy 5 or 10. If you cant get 7mm long, get the nearest oversize and grind it down to correct length.

image.png.b57c99ca9b5c0cc2d99ab5f888a1b2dd.png

4 minutes ago, greenergp said:

If you are looking for the pin try using one of the magnetic cartridge collector sticks work your way across the floor methodically  and you should find it.

Good idea greenergp, i have quite a few neodymium magnets. I'll try a sweep. ☺️

3 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Depends whether you mean a `Spring Pin` which is a single coil split longitudinally or a `Roll Pin` which is for heavier duty applications and wraps around for a couple of turns or more.

2.54mm is a non-preferred size so its probably a 2.5mm. They appear oversize (2.54) as they are designed to be an interference fit in a 2.5mm hole. Plenty on the bay of evil, cheep as chips but you might have to buy 5 or 10. If you cant get 7mm long, get the nearest oversize and grind it down to correct length.

image.png.b57c99ca9b5c0cc2d99ab5f888a1b2dd.png

Cheers JJ'sDad. I should have thought of evil bay. It is an interference fit, so 2.5mm sounds about right.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, jam1e said:

I should have thought of evil bay. It is an interference fit, so 2.5mm sounds about right.

If you get really stuck, we use a lot of both types at work and I can probably get you a slack handfull, but I am on holiday till next Wednesday & without checking I dont know if we have got 2.5mm on the shelf. If you cant source via the bay, drop me a PM. Always worth having a couple spare as its not good engineering practice to re-use them once they have been driven out.

Edited by JJsDad
Additional info

Thanks for the help and advice folks. Much appreciated.

I've had 1 go with the magnet. It's hard going as the magnets are so strong they keep sticking to the bottom of the freezer. 

Need to raise the freezer up some more. It doesn't help that my vice is on a worktop, which has shelving under and loads of tools. So it could have bounced anywhere...?

I'll give the magnet another go, before i look on evil bay.

Cheers

Jamie

`Spring Pin` which is a single coil split longitudinally'

Evil bay have failed....

I ordered from 2 different sellers due to good feedback, and just in case one was ****. As it turns out both are **** in comparison to the original part. They were well spread, as in the longitudinal gap, I gently squeezed the one end with needle nose pliers to get the pin started. Yet both just squashed near flat, with little pressure, and no spring back at all!!

Does anyone out there know of any reputable companies that sell 'spring pins'??

Cheers

James