It's not always a fib.

Longstrider

We've all heard the farmer complaining of his field being "covered in pigeons", "It's ruddy blue with 'em boy!" or similar, only to turn up just in time to witness 3 scraggy birds wandering along the headland looking for company.

Sometimes though, they're right !

Had a call from one of my farmers yesterday afternoon saying that a certain field of Spring wheat was alive with pigeons. He sounded a bit like the guy in the film Zulu ... "There's Farsands of 'em Sarge!", so I sneaked off work an hour early, got my gear sorted and got over there. It really was thick with them ! The fastest hide build in history and a quick scattering of decoys and I was in for a mad half hour. Shooting with the semi-auto I was almost struggling to reload fast enough to keep up with the incoming birds for a short while.

30 minutes of shooting (Before the pigeons disappeared en-masse to less hazardous places) saw me put 47 of them on the ground. Then they just turned off like a tap.

Anyone know where I can get a belt-fed semi-auto for the next time this happens ? :lol:

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

Excellent work. That's the equivalent of 94 per hour. Some on this forum will not believe that that's possible. 

A few years back I shot 66 (with a good few misses) in 2 1/2 hours, after moving, and thought that was manic.

The first time I invited Motty to shoot with me, he had to go to football game at midday ish ,when he left it went that hectic I gave up for while laying in a shallow dyke calling for assistance from my brother. I just couldn't load up fast enough.

same here had a call last week pigeon's on my beans , he drilled a week ago , got there nowt  zilch nothing , anyway I had done the miles , so I gave it a try 8/30 till 12 that's it had enough , 2 jacko's 2 pigeon , look's like they had cleaned up and flocked off, any thought's on this , or shall I give it another try.

1 hour ago, kenholland said:

same here had a call last week pigeon's on my beans , he drilled a week ago , got there nowt  zilch nothing , anyway I had done the miles , so I gave it a try 8/30 till 12 that's it had enough , 2 jacko's 2 pigeon , look's like they had cleaned up and flocked off, any thought's on this , or shall I give it another try.

That is why I try to do the recon myself. If I had to rely on the farmers, I would shoot 80% less pigeons at least.

2 hours ago, kenholland said:

This time of the year you might had done better by going dinner time and giving it the afternoon , rather than going fairly early in the morning till the time you packed up , you most probably live to far from the perm to keep a regular eye on it, but seeing is believing is always the best policy , and not second hand  by somebody who think a few pigeons is a large flock.

That’s some going shooting that many in half an hour, warmed the barrels up nicely!! Too late perhaps, but good while it lasted eh. 

I shot 62 in an hour a few years back on some pea stubble when the farmer turned up to disc it in, that was hectic enough. 

36 minutes ago, kenholland said:

I will have another look on Monday,and  have a bash in the afternoon ,weather is still looking o k , you are right , some farmers don't see it from our side of the fence , still if you get a call out you after check it out , thanks lads

GOOD LUCK for Monday, should be nice and warm so I think the afternoon will ( or should ) be better than the morning .

The wheat on this field was about 2" high, but the farmers drill is ancient so there is always plenty of loose grain around when he's been through and a good deal of that is/was still sitting on the surface for the birds to find. I was definitely there too late in the day or it could have been a real red letter day, but by some grossly unfortunate turn of events I actually have to work for a living and can't always be where I want to be at any given time or day. Work .. the curse of the shooting classes !