Hanging driveway gates... which way?

Munzy

I’m calling on the collective PW knowledge to help with the following.

I have double driveway gates, each leaf is approximately 2m square. I will hang them off posts with adjustable hook and eye type hinges. The lower hook will carry the weight and I will reverse the upper hook to hold the gate in place and stop it being lifted off the hinges.

Question is, with the gate construction pictured below, which would be the correct way round to hang them? Does the bracing direction make a difference?

Assuming the picture is the back of the gate viewed from inside the driveway, my gut says “B” is correct. My thinking is the weight at the far end (end opposite the hinges) will be transferred down the diagonal brace and end at the solid bottom hinge and base of the post.

Not sure if that logic is correct?

80440725-_DCA4-4_D66-_A887-8_E5_C7_D8_CE

Hi

You might want to make sure they dont open out onto the highway from your boundary (ownership of land/subsoil is is different to highway rights over it) - if they do it leaves you open to having to put back to opening inwards if your Local Authority get involved......

L

Edited by Loki
Spelling error

Similar to Loki make sure they don’t open out into the road, I was always lead to believe that it was illegal to have a gate hanging into the carriageway, regardless of whether it’s legal or not if they open into the carriageway and some berk parks their car into one of them you can guarantee you’ll be liable. 

7 hours ago, Loki said:

Hi

You might want to make sure they dont open out onto the highway from your boundary (ownership of land/subsoil is is different to highway rights over it) - if they do it leaves you open to having to put back to opening inwards if your Local Authority get involved......

L

Yep, will definitely open inwards!

6 hours ago, mowdy said:

Wooden Gates should always be supported on the top hindge to stop them dropping or pulling apart

I see the “possibility” of them coming detached at the top if supported at the bottom, however, surely it is better for the lower hook at the base of the post to carry the weight?

1 hour ago, Munzy said:

Yep, will definitely open inwards!

I see the “possibility” of them coming detached at the top if supported at the bottom, however, surely it is better for the lower hook at the base of the post to carry the weight?

I would agree. The top hinge will be carrying the weight of the outer edge of the gate preventing it from dropping on that corner.

If the weight of the gate itself is carried on the bottom hinge that takes some of the load off the top one.

Just my opinion (as a carpenter for 25 years)

Edd

Must admit i usually hang a gate with the top crook normal way up, but there usually metal gates nowadys and a lot of that is because when the gates hanging on the top crook its easy to put the bottom crook in which every way u want esp if ur on ur own and hanging 15ft gates, but the top crook is always a bolt throu post crook and bottom 1 a drive in crook.

Whenever i've made timber gates usually for garden fencing but occasionaly darm gates i was always taught to have the daiganol coming up from the bottom hinge to the top of the gate