Suggestions

eastlincs

OMG - world is your Oyster Sir - buy a used quality gun i.e. Browning ,Beretta or Winchester but try them first - some people simply cannot get on with a Browning yet can dust Clays all day long with the Italian counter-part so FIT is essential before you decide which way to go. Visit your local Clay ground and see what club guns they have that you can try - if I were in your shoes I would look out for a used 425 multi 28" sporter but it all hinges on what fits you - best of luck, sometimes the search for the right gun is as much pleasure as owning a carefully selected  companion that you will spend many years with.

I tried a browning 525, miroku mk60 and Beretta 687 - Beretta fit the best - I’d try and get an older model Beretta 686 or 687 - should be able to pick one up for around the £8-900 mark and if you want to sell it should get your money back no problem. 

Plenty of options, but knowing what it'll be used for will help focus the advice.

If you're in East Lincs, Derek Lee could be worth a look. Failing that, several good options on here. There's a Browning 525 Advance in private sales which could suit depending upon application.

28 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Plenty of options, but knowing what it'll be used for will help focus the advice.

If you're in East Lincs, Derek Lee could be worth a look. Failing that, several good options on here. There's a Browning 525 Advance in private sales which could suit depending upon application.

What everyone else wants is not always good. What nobody else wants is not always bad. There are some bargains to be had and unless clays are the main use, don't ignore the possibility of a SbS. Enjoy the hunt and don't be fobbed off if you're not 100% sure.

Thanks for the replies,

It will be mostly clays, I’d like to go pigeon shooting but actually being able to get somewhere to go is very unlikely. 

I’m in Lincolnshire near Louth, I’m going to go into Derek lees and forest lodge today. I’ve spoke to Derek in the week he seemed helpful in the phone, told me to come in and have a look and help show me what he thinks fits etc. I just don’t want to end up spending to much lol. 

Ive looked at second hand berettas and browning but there doesn’t seem to be anything within a reasonable distance to me at the minute. 

Popped in forest lodge the other week also before my license came, they have a lot of second hand cheaper guns but opposite end now I don’t want to end up buying something that’s cheap for a reason and not worth anything if I want to sell it. 

Dereks have got a nice Franchi elgante field new for £950 but everyone keeps telling me to get a sporter. 

If you buy a good used B gun Beretta or Browning you will not loose out and parts are easy to find. They are popular for a reason, they will do all you want for clays and pigeon shooting. If clays is your main thing a sporter is the gun to buy.

If you were looking for a motor and you transport a lot of stuff you would buy a van or an estate car because it suits your application. Guns are no different,horses for courses.

Definitely go for a second hand Beretta 686, Miroku MK 38, MK70 or MK60 or Browning 325, 425. Would suggest a 30” barrel length for starting clays and all round gun and choked 1/4 and 1/2 or multichoke.

As has been stated they will hold their money well if you want to sell and unless you are very unlucky should be reliable.

Always worth giving Bill Elderkin of Spalding a ring as well as the others.

Difficult when you have just started but gun fit is very important if you want to shoot well, try to get someone to help you with that.

Some of the lesser known brands look appealing as the new price is comparatively low but you would not do so well if you want to sell it.

There is also the question of reliability with some of them!

hello, being your first shotgun i would be inclined to buy from a RFD, £800 should buy you a decent S/H or new but the lower end market gun yet with warranty  but like other info a good fit is essential, a sporter multi choke 28/30 barrels 7/7.5 llb,, forest lodge seem to have a better selection, both RFDs you mention have good reviews, best of luck, 

No rush. You need to try as many as possible either at a clay ground or a shop which lets you try before you buy. 

You can get a very good quality secondhand gun for your budget. Take your time and get it right, but start saving now for that second one cos one is never enough. 

14 hours ago, eastlincs said:

Shotgun license finally arrived today, literally have no idea what to buy. Everyone says beretta or browning, as much as id like one cant really afford/justify one at the minute. Any suggestions on what else to have a look at? £800 max ideally.

I don’t know a great deal about guns and I know even less about gun fit for other people but I will be happy to give you some time if you need some help. Visiting Derek Lee or Forest Lodge Guns together would be doable.

Being from Lincoln i am sure some of the local to you clay shooters on here would help you with trying guns, finding what suits you also local clay grounds and the rest of the clay shooting needs and don't need.

Someone Like Stevo if you want a Beretta :lol:

Nice offer from JDog.

Edited by figgy

Get a 28/30 inch multi choke that fits you well and learn to shoot with it, in 5 years (or shooting better than 90/100 which ever comes first), you can then start to wonder if upgrading might lift scores.
Franchi are made by Beretta and are a resonable gun and what i bought when i was on a limited budget and a new Browning or Beretta was out of question.

Thanks for the offer Jdog but think I’m sorted. Forest lodge have a Franchi Alcione one 28” barel comes with the case and chokes and to me and from what the guys where saying it seems to “feel” ok and it’s £500. Think I’m going to go for this and see how I get on. Like the berettas and browings but can’t justify the cost at the minute and not getting finance on one to get one. 

6 minutes ago, eastlincs said:

End of that one! It’s sold haha. Just been in....they have got new Lincoln’s for £780 but if I’m getting to that money I’d sooner just spend a little more on a beretta or browning so left it and went away. 

What is wrong with a Lincoln? I don't know why folk here always suggest buying Beretta, Browning or Miroku. There is nothing wrong with many of the "lesser" makes.

Buy a gun that you like the look of (and fits reasonably well) in good condition. Don't worry about the gun being a game or sporter model - I shoot most of my clays with a game gun.

That’s what they was just saying in the shop, most of the guns he was showing me was field. Don’t know if anything is wrong with a Lincoln? New to shooting so not heard of most of the brands. There’s £50 cash back on all Lincoln guns aswell 

There’s nothing wrong with a Lincoln, it’s just very comforting to know that any item you buy, whether a car, a gun or anything else can be sold for the same money that you bought it for.

if you buy a nice second hand Beretta, Miroku or Browning and want to upgrade in future, or give up shooting, whatever it is, it’s good to get back what you paid for it. 

If you buy a new gun your unlikely to have that same benefit, but you get the alternative benefit that it might come with a warranty and it hasn’t been broken by the person who used it before you.

all depends what you want...