Suggestions

eastlincs

That’s why I was thinking for that money I’d sooner spend a bit more on a s/h beretta or browning so if I don’t use it I won’t loose a fortune when I sell it. I’ll see what pops up local in the next few days and have a good look about 

34 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

There’s nothing wrong with a Lincoln, it’s just very comforting to know that any item you buy, whether a car, a gun or anything else can be sold for the same money that you bought it for.

if you buy a nice second hand Beretta, Miroku or Browning and want to upgrade in future, or give up shooting, whatever it is, it’s good to get back what you paid for it. 

If you buy a new gun your unlikely to have that same benefit, but you get the alternative benefit that it might come with a warranty and it hasn’t been broken by the person who used it before you.

all depends what you want... 

I don't understand why so many folk worry about what they may sell a gun for, before they have even bought it!

I have Berettas and a Browning, but I own a few that aren't.

My brother went to look at the guns in Holts near Sandringham , ( maybe Motty knows where it is ) and he brought the list back and believe you me , there were 100s , all the guns had a sale estimate on them , say £300 to £450 , and if you wanted one you pay the lowest estimate , they had from the top of the scale , the bottom of the scale and everything in between . you can browse without any hassle and he was saying the staff were helpful if you needed any advise.

Have anyone on P W been down this road to buy a gun ? , I have bought a few from auctions and haven't really regretted buying any of them . 

5 hours ago, eastlincs said:

Thanks for the offer Jdog but think I’m sorted. Forest lodge have a Franchi Alcione one 28” barel comes with the case and chokes and to me and from what the guys where saying it seems to “feel” ok and it’s £500. Think I’m going to go for this and see how I get on. Like the berettas and browings but can’t justify the cost at the minute and not getting finance on one to get one. 

That's a coincidence. The gun was sold within 2 hours of you seeing it BUT they have some new ones for £780. Have you heard the fat lady singing?

1 hour ago, motty said:

I don't understand why so many folk worry about what they may sell a gun for, before they have even bought it!

I have Berettas and a Browning, but I own a few that aren't.

Beyond me too. I always think that you can spot the guy who bought what he really fancied and not neccessarily 'a name' as he has the biggest grin.

18 hours ago, Scully said:

No rush. You need to try as many as possible either at a clay ground or a shop which lets you try before you buy. 

You can get a very good quality secondhand gun for your budget. Take your time and get it right. 

I can't really add anything useful to this other than suggest to get a lesson or two and talk to the instructor about your plans.

Edited by JohnfromUK

On 18/05/2018 at 21:40, eastlincs said:

Shotgun license finally arrived today, literally have no idea what to buy. Everyone says beretta or browning, as much as id like one cant really afford/justify one at the minute. Any suggestions on what else to have a look at? £800 max ideally.

hello, a nice bettinsoli has just gone on here for sale in suffolk

Tried a Bettinsoli and found it excellent, wouldn't hesitate to buy one in the future. Have a Lincoln and pleased with it as well. As others have said, fit is crucial and I can tell you that from the position of someone who doesn't have a gun that fits properly :P

Thanks for all the replies, Looked at a Bettinsoli diamond today s/h but didn’t feel right to me and the shop owner said it didn’t look like it was a good fit. Something to do with my eyes or something ?

But im sorted now, bought a second hand silver pigeon from Elderkins Spalding  (well paid a deposit over the phone) going in Saturday to be measured up or what ever it is they do as the price includes any alterations needed for correct fitting. So hopefully should be sorted and set up pretty good. 

Edited by eastlincs

Try lots of things and buy whatever you shoot best with. 

I spent ages trying to find a left handed berretta to try and ended up getting a cheap Turkish thing as it seems to point where I look and does the job. One day I would like to try a berretta but it would have to feel very nice to make me buy one now.

If you tend tend to chop and change things a lot resale may be worth considering, if you keep things till they are beyond any hope of repair it's a moot point. I would be tempted to spend £300 on a used gun, £300 on lessons, then £300 on a fitting.