zeroing issue

Need a bit of help here folks,don,t know if i,m doing something wrong but tried zeroing a scope tonight that was second hand from gunshop.100meter  zero 1/2 inch group so was happy with that ,out to 200 was 2inch low so dialed 4 clicks and was 4 inch high ,so brought it down 2 and was bang on.Then out to 250 and was 4inch low so put the cross hair on the bullet hole and dialled up to the  target line took shot and was 8 inch low,couldn,t work out where i was going wrong so put the cross hair on target line and dialled down to the bullet hole and still 4 inch low from target line.Zeroed loads of scopes but can,t work out where i,m going wrong with this one.Its mil/mil scope.:hmm:.Rifle is 204 

Edited by kingsy18

Mil mil is a different system than the traditional 4 clicks = 1 × MOA @ 100 yards ( 1" ).

Clicks are ralative to the distance between Mildots.

It can be further complicated depending on whether your scope is FFP or SFP.

Once you've sussed it out is easy but first you're best searching a tactical site to read up how its works, as its far too much for me to sensibly explain.

Instead of dialling in I took the simpletons option and mine's on a set zero and I use the Dots as a reference point to hold off for distance and wind.

Mine is 10 clicks per mildot. 

Not sure if this reply makes sense but hope it helps.

The other option to your problem may be the scopes goosed.

Edited by Robertt

Going to give it another go today,so before i waste any more ammo can somebody tell me how many clicks i should be dialling up if i,m 125 mm low at 250yds,new to this dialling so could be getting my maths wrong. Its ffp scope in mills

I think we have to establish if this scope is dialing in correctly or knackered.

Firstly double check all the mounts are tightened up properley.

Look up the scope specifications and establish how many clicks per mildot.

My FFP Mil / Mil scope is 10 clicks MD to MD.

10 mm per click @ 100 yards.

Zero the rifle and a given distance then dial in 10 clicks ( if MD to MD is 10 clicks? ) anti clockwise on the windage turret, for instance.

Shoot a group and the the POI should then be on the bang on the next MD to the right.

If it isn't it's knackered.

As for 125mm at 250 yards just try one click up and see what happens.

Edited by Robertt

1 hour ago, kingsy18 said:

Going to give it another go today,so before i waste any more ammo can somebody tell me how many clicks i should be dialling up if i,m 125 mm low at 250yds,new to this dialling so could be getting my maths wrong. Its ffp scope in mills

NO!

It just isn't that simple, what ammo are you using, what is the barrel length, is the barrel in good condition, do you have a moderator fitted, how high are the scope mounts, is the scope1/4 or 1/8 per click etc etc etc...….

Why don't you simply start with about 10 or 20 clicks and monitor that, I get the ammo wastage, unfortunately that can be a fact of life, and you will have to finish with live fire to check whatever you do.

Are you always going to shoot at 250 yards?  Why don't you zero at 100-150-200 like most people and then use the mil dots to deal with other distances, you will still have to check dots at other distances with live fire whatever.

Just the same, as previous posts, the scope sounds suspicious!

Yep it gets complicated. Can't do with that. Other than my two air rifles all of other rifles are zeroed 1 1/2 inch  high at 100 and I then check fall of shot on my reloading tables out to 150, 200, 250. Job done.

After that it's down to me.  I have the hold over in my head and calculate the wind on the day as I normally will not have time to fiddle with a scope and have to use my own judgement.

Don't miss much but have been doing it for over 50yrs.

To check the scope is dialling correctly, you really need to establish a tall target test:  http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/TallTarget.pdf

If fall of shot is 125mm down at 250m, your adjustment is likely 0.1Mils/click = 2.5cm/click at that distance so to correct, theoretically you should only have to dial up 5 clicks.

Not really sure though what you are trying to achieve....are you looking to establish a 250 yard zero?  Most people would set a 100 yard zero and simply dial or use the ret (if FFP) to call corrections either side.

Your first post states that you placed the cross hairs on the LOW shot centre and dialled the crosshairs UP to the target aim point.  This will put you LOWER not higher.  You needed to do it the other way around ensuring that your rifle is firmly secured so that it cannot move,.  You then click the adjuster so that the crosshair drops down to the point of impact from the point of aim and you're zero'd.

Don't do it for one shot though as that is not precise enough.  Shoot at least a group of 5 or 6 shots, take the centre of the group, mark it then dial your crosshairs down to meet the centre of the group from the initial point of aim on target. 

Edited by Savhmr

Thats what i like about the forum is that you get advice,always held over when shooting but wanted to try dialling ,it wasn,t the scope that was knackered but me dialling the wrong way.Done it the way Savhmr told me and sussed it.cheers guys.

On 22/05/2018 at 13:03, kingsy18 said:

Thats what i like about the forum is that you get advice,always held over when shooting but wanted to try dialling ,it wasn,t the scope that was knackered but me dialling the wrong way.Done it the way Savhmr told me and sussed it.cheers guys.

Different scopes are marked in different ways, on mine if you dial it the mark is to the right whereas on one if my other it' opposite so I always get bloody confused. Glad you sorted it