Lithgow LA101 .22lr DISAPPOINTED

So, I fancied an upgrade from my trusty old CZ452.  I decided on a Lithgow LA101 .22lr with the trimmings,  first impressions, lovely......but I think I've just bought myself a Lada with RR money.

Zeroing at 50yd seemed well then I noticed the odd flyer, after a little more concentration the cycling of rounds required a little more or less force from a supposed slick rifle, I took a closer look at the magazine supplied with the rifle and it is a proper cheapo.  Anyway, I loaded up with a 10 shot mag that I've had faultless years of use with my CZ......and the same results, bullets scuffing, scraping, jamming and manually having to pick from the breech ?

The excuses are ringing in my ears already ?

IMG_4550.JPG.70d69058c7bad783dc6e5622a850ea8e.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

Funny, I've got a CZ452 and briefly thought about changing it for a Lithgow. Just a thought, try some different ammo. I definitely had a bad batch of CCI subs at one point (which my rifle usually loves) and had similar problems.

Edited by Houseplant

I have a friend who also has a Lithgow Crossover in 22lr, he had problems feeding, usually the last round in the mag comes out at a steep angle and jams.  Loading 5 rounds the 5th would come up almost vertical.

Using a CZ mag he found it was worse.

Lithgow told him it was because the mag was new and it would improve, 3 months later and it was still the same.

He stripped the Lithgow mag and found the lifter plate has a couple of folded over sections that run against the sides of the mag, one of these wasn't quite square, he adjusted it and it seems to a lot better.  He ran 70 rounds through it yesterday without a problem.

One thing to watch if you're stripping the mag, there's a spring which tends to fly out!.

Edited by phaedra1106

5 hours ago, phaedra1106 said:

I have a friend who also has a Lithgow Crossover in 22lr, he had problems feeding, usually the last round in the mag comes out at a steep angle and jams.  Loading 5 rounds the 5th would come up almost vertical.

Using a CZ mag he found it was worse.

Lithgow told him it was because the mag was new and it would improve, 3 months later and it was still the same.

He stripped the Lithgow mag and found the lifter plate has a couple of folded over sections that run against the sides of the mag, one of these wasn't quite square, he adjusted it and it seems to a lot better.  He ran 70 rounds through it yesterday without a problem.

One thing to watch if you're stripping the mag, there's a spring which tends to fly out!.

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

Yes, the last bullet was almost vertical at times, the bolt would have crushed or bent it if I had pushed hard enough, the fact that it's also scuffing on the way in is annoying too.

I'm planning on going out with it on Monday and pay closer attention, take notes photos etc. before returning it to the shop.

As I mentioned earlier I know little about them but I have been reading up a bit, they are certainly meant to be ok, but even so, when I hear things like "I fancied an upgrade from my trusty old CZ452" I simply ask why?

An UPGRADE implies an improvement, so where is the CZ falling down?

Isn't the CZ accurate, isn't it reliable, isn't it repeatable, doesn't it do the job, what more does anyone actually want/expect?

Just the same, I'd take it right back, it shouldn't have these issues!

:good:

16 hours ago, Dekers said:

As I mentioned earlier I know little about them but I have been reading up a bit, they are certainly meant to be ok, but even so, when I hear things like "I fancied an upgrade from my trusty old CZ452" I simply ask why?

An UPGRADE implies an improvement, so where is the CZ falling down?

Isn't the CZ accurate, isn't it reliable, isn't it repeatable, doesn't it do the job, what more does anyone actually want/expect?

Just the same, I'd take it right back, it shouldn't have these issues!

:good:

Fair comment fella.

I had 13 years of service from my CZ, just like I had similar from a previous Bruno, was that an upgrade then?  For me, like now yes, more modern, lovely build, crisper trigger, clearer scope, quieter mod etc etc etc.

Since my OP I have read about this issue of feeding and stove piping which is acknowledged by the manufacturer,  to say the least I have been very disappointed that they even suggest that the end user i.e. me, to F around with a magazine!!

I was out tonight and cycled around 80 faultless rounds and I can honestly say that the Lithgow is more accurate than my old CZ, particularly at longer range...........maybe in 13 years it'll be time for another upgrade, or indeed downgrade ??

Spoke to my friend about it it, and yes he's having issues with feeding. 

Has to be firm and hard with the bolt or it doesn't feed right, try and work the action slowly and you snag the round. 

I don't think that's right for the price of the gun personally. 

• 2 years later...

I got rely excited about the Lithgow 101..after pesting for years with Airguns (Airarms TX 200) I got my FAC. Loved the look of the Lithgow it seemed like super high quality. Day before bought one I came across blogs stating feed jams and bullets getting pinched. I emailed Lithgow to see if later models had been sorted, NO REPLY AFTER A MONTH!.

Guess I'll give my hard earned g to Mr CZ 457 Varmint.

• 9 months later...
On 17/09/2020 at 15:27, Marco2021 said:

I got rely excited about the Lithgow 101..after pesting for years with Airguns (Airarms TX 200) I got my FAC. Loved the look of the Lithgow it seemed like super high quality. Day before bought one I came across blogs stating feed jams and bullets getting pinched. I emailed Lithgow to see if later models had been sorted, NO REPLY AFTER A MONTH!.

Guess I'll give my hard earned g to Mr CZ 457 Varmint.

You should have waited -       Watch this  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I used a cheap as chips brand and it fed so poorly, nicking the projectile and affecting the accuracy like yours. It was limited to the last round in a after market magazine. Then I was told to try a waxy lubricated round and hey presto, no issues and 1 hole accuracy at 100 metres. The Lithgow shoots way better than my CZ and Annie. RWS R50 rounds are just perfect in it.