Black powder loads 16 bore

I don't have any data - get a little note book and a set of accurate scales - In muzzle loaders a volume load is a good place to start - rightly or wrongly i do the same when loading cartridges.

If i were loading a 16 bore cartridge and didn't know where to start i would look at a load of around 24 grams of shot weight - it might seem a puny load, but you would be wrong to think that I have shot 24 grams from a 12 bore on most game and never found it to be a handicap.

There seems to be a modern trend of trying to put loads more appropriate to a 12 bore through the smaller gauges - its not that the guns can not safely handle the loading however i feel it robs one of the benefit of shooting a lighter weight gun. In smaller bores i think all you get from a heavy load is a longer shot string and more recoil. On a pattern plate it might look like a good tight pattern but you have to remember when your shot is going through the air it is 3 dimensional ( like a swarm of bees ) and the pattern plate can only show you a two dimensional snap shot - for this reason i think there is a point of diminishing returns when using heavier loads in smaller bores - i tend to think if you want to shoot out a bit further go up a shot size or two..but that's just my view.

Anyway on with the loading - you have weighed out 24 grams of shot, now make a little container which will hold just that 24 grams of shot.

Using this container scoop up a load of black powder, put your over powder card, wad, 24 grams of shot and over shot card. This is generally a good starting point in my experience.

Pattern the load and see what you see - if your blowing holes in your pattern reduce the powder charge. In my experience i have never found it necessary to increase a charge from this starting point - just tweak it with reductions. 

The old adage goes something like this "less powder more lead, shoots far, kills dead, More powder less lead, kicks hard, wide spread"

Not an expert, just my experience, im sure there will be some proper re loaders along in a bit.

In my book for a 24 gram load i have 24 grams of shot to 2 1/4 drams of powder - approx 60 grains.

4 hours ago, Dogs said:

Morning , looking at loading some of the above in mag tech brass cases ? Would anybody know where to get data / loads etc ?   Cheers for any info , much appreciated .

For a 16 bore  the standard  load which is a volume load  is 2.1/2 drms of medium grade black powder to 1oz of  shot the method of loading is has follows  powder , 1/8 card ,felt or Kleana wad , 1/8 card ,shot. 1/16 card  on a brass case will need a seal. Never use plastic wads with  black powder it is the main cause of barrel ripple .

Feltwad