Landlord wants to sell - security implications

Wb123

The landlord just rang saying they want to sell as they have been offered the chance to buy the place they rent if they can be quick. We arent interested in buying this place.

For reference we are in Northern Ireland.

Sooner or later this means a completely unvetted selection of people wandering in and out for viewings and a good chance they will spot the gun cabinets and all manner of shooting related things. I dont have anywhere else I can legitimately secure the cabinets or store stuff. 

As far as I can tell I could cross my fingers nobody too untoward gets shown round, or play hard ball with the landlord and aim for a significant payment to make things dissappear or else aim to refuse/make unappealing viewings (lodging the guns and removing the cabinets would be expensive and inconvienient). We seem to be in a strong negotiating position with the landlord due to her three month notice period in the contract (apparently illegal here), deposit not protected (in theory grounds for an £1900 fine if we take it to small claims), and the house is not on the rented property registration scheme (£500 minimum fine). I dont particularly want to be a knob though and would rather try and come to an amicable agreement. 

What would other people do in my position?

Have a quiet word and explain to the landlord the cupboard with the guns is off limits except for property surveyor.

Stick rest of shooting gear in back of garage or similar (cover with tarp).

Also point out to them if police get involved (some visitor might get wrong ideal) and ask questions about rental house etc you as a fac holder have to be 100% honest with them and it may come back to bite them.

Guest stevo

Drape a blanket over it and stick a couple of coats over the top and say nothing , IF someone says what’s in there , just say it’s where you keep your Gucci fishing rods and gear , and leave it at that . 

Just hang a shirt or something in front of the cabinet. 

My GF has loads of shoe storage boxes, when we had this exact situation I just stacked them up in front of the cabinet. 

Just hang a shirt or something in front of the cabinet. 

My GF has loads of shoe storage boxes, when we had this exact situation I just stacked them up in front of the cabinet. 

Also - what do you mean ‘aim for a significant payment to make thinge disappear’ ? 

Youve already said you don’t have anywhere else legitimate to store them... do you just want the land lord to give you some money? 

Aiming to make things awkward because it's inconvenient for you is a pretty poor show IMO. Your proposed "negotiations" sound like blackmail. 

Imagine how you'd feel if you couldn't sell your house because the tenant was making it awkward on purpose. 

Did you get permission from landlord to fit the cabinet? If not you may be in breach of the lease and if you decide to be difficult, karma may come and bite you in the bottom!

Edit. if not he could demand you remove it along with any firearms immediately!

edit 2: do you need a reference from landlord for next property???

Edited by silver pigeon69

Hope you have permission to drill the walls most landlords dont give this.....sounds like basically you want to be payed of....being northern ireland ive yet to meet anyone bothered by legal guns....!!!!!!!

If house is going on open market your most likely out on your ear....if there looking at someone else to be your landlord surley you would be looking to impress them before they put you out on your ear for being a knob(as you put it)  also just to make you aware if i buy the property for my own home or i intend to refurbish it your just entltled to 1mths notice to get you gone

So your easy to move on reguardless of contract given certain circumstances.....i get elect inspection done showing serious faults give you 4 wks notice for complete refurb bye bye tennent house on open market.......ive ceen this done!!!! 

Hi, I'm a lettings Portfoloio Manager, Silver pigeon is incorrect! You can refuse access, it is your legal right and you cannot be punished for exercising that right! I am advising that you speak to your Landlord, you will be surprised what you can achieve by speaking to people! Do not threaten or blackmail, you will be the only one that ends up suffering long term for it! Your best bet is to offer to show them round yourselves or only when you are present. Also cover the cabinet with something and come up with a good excuse in case anyone asks.

Edited by Harry136