Corvid Bashing

When we informed the farmer of our totals last week he made a request for us to shoot the corvids around the farm, DB is away so it fell to me to try and reduce the numbers. Its a difficult farm to shoot with houses on one side the farm buildings on the other and a railway in front. So the set up would be important.

I arrived at 09.30 and watched the numerous corvids coming to the farm down a long pasture over a hill. So I decide to set up on the hedge as they aproached the farm and shoot away from all the concerns. WRONG!!!! just after I had set up the BULLOCKS arrived from the far end of the field Mayhem, so I packed up and moved into the farmyard between two large skips. The sun was very hot and no wind and I was all set up for 10.15 , I was going to shoot the hushpower but the hide was very restrictive so I went for the silver pigeon. The first bird in had no idea I was shooting and I soon had twenty out in the yard, I brought all the subsequent birds in the hide and continued shooting. The birds had been feeding in the cow sheds and they were very fat and healthy. Between 14.00 and 15.30 the bird were desperate to feed and I had a number of three birds with two shots building the total. I finished at 17.00 and picked up one hundred and twentysix corvids. I was glad to get home as it was very hot and no wind , I was forced to drink two cans of cider to rehydrate myself!!!

It was and interesting day but frustrating at times as you could not take the shot due to the surroundings 

100_3129.jpg

126 Corvids

Handy having a rubbish skip beside the unwanted bag P C , with having that many on the farm it might be worth the farmer investing in a small Crow cage , easy to make and working seven days a week , no noise and no further cost after putting it out on site .

6 hours ago, motty said:

Not a smile, definitely wind!

Top bag of blacks. Very well presented!

Out of interest, how do you deal with a runner? My grandad used to use the skull-biting method.

JDog, There are quite a few corvids on the barley drilling we are looking at later. You will have to show me the biting method.

Another great day out PC, you have done some good there.