Rust on action

flyawaymac

Have recently experienced a thin film of rust appearing on the action of my Beretta 687 EELL when stored in my cabinet despite being well cleaned before storage, any suggestions as what to use to clean this off and remove the slight dis colouring  and  for future prevention ??

Try using  a light oil with a nylon pan scrubber and gently rub the rust away, always wipe my guns over with a oily greasy cloth before putting them away. never have a problem with rust after doing so. Solvents remove the oil so even though a gun is clean its not protected.

You could hang a napier vp90  pouch in the cabinet

Edited by figgy

whenever i come back from shooting...i go to a very old oily cloth stored in a jam jar...the cloth must be years old...i have always added a few drops of oil to hand...3in1 clean enjine oil..any oil thats hangin about and it still smells of holts gun oil............just a wipe over everything....store it ...forget it...put cloth back in jar..........

Is it on the engraving plate? When I was looking for a beretta eell I viewed atleast 3 that had some sort of small pitting or form of rust starting which I found was odd.

I spoke to an rfd who said beretta  dont put  any coating on the eell engraving plates as it ruins the engraving  so it’s left bare metal.

Use a brillo pad that will soon remove it ......and the engraving

Or

use copper wool 

Pick a spot to start, put some oil on the metal, rub the copper wool over the area, and wipe clean with a paper towel. 

The copper wool is softer than the steel, so light pressure will wear away the rust without scouring the steel or the remaining blueing. 

So i would use copper wool rather than a brillo or a pan scrubber

hello, more the same as figgy and bruno, non scratch washing pad and 3 in 1 oil as i find it does not clog up pad as thick oil, finish with rag and the napier as bruno mentioned,  shotgun/ rifles are well dried after use then wiped off as same with ditchman, mine is a old hanky and gun oil

On 20/05/2018 at 09:36, flyawaymac said:

Have recently experienced a thin film of rust appearing on the action of my Beretta 687 EELL when stored in my cabinet despite being well cleaned before storage, any suggestions as what to use to clean this off and remove the slight dis colouring  and  for future prevention ??

a shotgun sock off ebay helps in cabinet, my semi/ O/U  and single 12 are socked up, 

With my tin hat firmly fixed I'll mention WD40... It will shift a light film of rust (don't ask me how I know) and protect from moisture fairly well too. "WD" actually stands for water dispersant which is what it was created for.

Don't use much and don't let it get on the woodwork.

Don't need a tin hat! WD40 is excellent stuff. IF IT'S USED FOR WHAT IT WAS DESINGNED FOR. 

As for dehumidifier blocks. If your cabinet was airtight yes but as it's not the blocks could just be drawing moisture in from outside of the cabinet. AND STORING IT INSIDE.

You may say your guns have never rusted but a thin film of oil will prevent rust for  long time. blocks or not.

Edited by DUNKS

21 hours ago, Green hornet said:

Only way is to rub it with very fine wire wool and gun oil.You could get the side plates laqured over after that would protect them but not sure how the engraving would look after.Its nothing you’ve done wrong cleaning wise or storage as I’ve seen this on new eell berettas.

bit of a EELL nut,

mate had his EELL 20 bore, lovely little gun, fully refurbished at a gun smith local to him, that came back with the action and sideplates lacquered, looked an absolute mess,

well the whole thing was a mess, the barrel blacking job looked like it had been done by an amateur, there was no trace of any of the jewelling, stock wasn't fantastic either

what figgy said in post 2  is spot on

cabinets are usually fixed to an exterior wall which is cold in the winter and can trap condensation, particularly if the room is warm. Its a known problem. My friend lives in a 200 year old house and has a real problem.

LOKSAC sell gun sized resealable plastic  bags which you can pop your gun in along with a couple of bags of silica gel.

Edited by Vince Green

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/5/2018 at 09:36, flyawaymac said:

When you get the rust problem cured get one of those Napier VP90 stick on sachets for your safe. They keep rust at bay and unlike the dehumidifier blocks they won't dry out the natural oils from the woodwork.

I have used them for many years, just replace it annually and your good to go.