Recommend me a Garden hose...

ollie

Need a decent robust garden hose. I recently bought a cheapy online; one of the retractable ones and it was pants. I have quite a large garden and the tap is at the back door, so I need quite a long hose to go around to the front of the house. Links and recommendations will be much appreciated :yes:

Costco professional 3/4" garden hose,bought one last year and cannot fault it. Got my mate one and my parents now have the same hose. comes with attached brass threads and reducers to 1/2" to fit standard fittings.

As asked for a lnik   https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Garden-Accessories/Composters-Hoses/Flexon-Flextreme-100ft-3048m-6-Ply-Garden-Hose/p/1184115

Just according how far you need to go. My hose is 60 yrds long and only just manages to reach the far corners if I have the nozzle on full blast which adds about ten yards reach.  I agree with the above about Hozelock for the connectors, they do take a beating before they give up. Buy whatever length of quality pipe you need and make sure it is NO KINK and fits the Hozelock bits.

Edited by Walker570

just did some extensive research as needed a new hose,  ended up with ALDI online £9.99 + £2.99 del, I bought 2 to get the length, joined by a £1 Wilco coupling 

its manufactured by fitt, has this NTS anti kink thing, its better than the new yellow supa dupa hoselock ultimate my neighbour has that was mega bucks, I think the fittings are better as well, the coupling on the end the spray gun goes in, hasn't come off as yet, 

still does kink but the kink does come out and stays out

Edited by itchy trigger
detail

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Costco professional 3/4" garden hose,bought one last year and cannot fault it. Got my mate one and my parents now have the same hose. comes with attached brass threads and reducers to 1/2" to fit standard fittings.

As asked for a lnik   https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Garden-Accessories/Composters-Hoses/Flexon-Flextreme-100ft-3048m-6-Ply-Garden-Hose/p/1184115

I have had the Costco one for two years and it is has sprung a leak, in addition it is a pain to coil. I'm taking mine back for a refund.

1 hour ago, itchy trigger said:

just did some extensive research as needed a new hose,  ended up with ALDI online £9.99 + £2.99 del, I bought 2 to get the length, joined by a £1 Wilco coupling 

its manufactured by fitt, has this NTS anti kink thing, its better than the new yellow supa dupa hoselock ultimate my neighbour has that was mega bucks, I think the fittings are better as well, the coupling on the end the spray gun goes in, hasn't come off as yet, 

still does kink but the kink does come out and stays out

we bought our last on offer some place? Wouldn't buy now unless you get the above, be paying top whack given the time of year.

I've also got two, one on the reel and one layed out in the border, makes it much easier than reeling in loads of hose pipe.

I've just been busy swearing at my hose the day, u only have to look at it and it kinks, its a hozelock yellow and grey hose, rubbish. But it was quite cheap.

Long hoses can be a pain to work with, but those joiners things work well.

I've went away from hose lock fitting and am now all on brass fitings , even the good hozelock 1's don't like UV or get dropped occasionally

Random idea would it be easier in long term to lay a surface pipe down to the far end of garden and put a tap on it?

Just use alky fittings so at end of year u just unscrew a fitting to let pipe drain out for winter,. Real easy to do as a DIYer the only difficult thing might be teeing into the water supply,

32 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Random idea would it be easier in long term to lay a surface pipe down to the far end of garden and put a tap on it?

Just use alky fittings so at end of year u just unscrew a fitting to let pipe drain out for winter,. Real easy to do as a DIYer the only difficult thing might be teeing into the water supply,

I would require an anti backflow device fitted at the branch into the main supply,  internal to protect from frost

for your own protection all hose taps should be supplied via one

5 hours ago, Konnie said:

Decent quality lasts better mine has tricoflex printed on the side not sure if this is the make or just brand stamp, and nothing plastic splits easily rubber type.

Yellow tricoflex is standard in horticulture, worked in a nursery when I was younger and this stuff was bomb proof!! 

On 20/05/2018 at 18:39, scotslad said:

I've just been busy swearing at my hose the day, u only have to look at it and it kinks, its a hozelock yellow and grey hose, rubbish. But it was quite cheap.

Long hoses can be a pain to work with, but those joiners things work well.

I've went away from hose lock fitting and am now all on brass fitings , even the good hozelock 1's don't like UV or get dropped occasionally

Thanks for all the replies. The issue is the front of the house if I want to water the front lawn or wash the car. The back & side garden can be sprayed from the raised patio with a decent length of hose. I would have no idea how to lay a surface pipe, but I should have told the contractor to put a tap at the front of the house when they were building it.

Ollie it is as easy as it sounds, ur just laying a length of 20mm alky ppe on the surface somewhere out of sight and stickig a tap wall plate on the end.

I have my outdoor system running of a burn and simpy srewed taps into a fence post where i want a tap.

With alkyathene pipes all the fitting are just screw fitting that ujust hand tighten so no need for tools etc, thee so easy farmers can use them?

Ur only problem might be drives or pathways if u have to get ur pipe across them would mena digging them up, prob not worth the hassle/expense.

If u stick with a hose i'd go with 2 or 3 shorter hoses and join them together with hozelock connectors, be easier to handle the rest of the time.

On 20/05/2018 at 19:17, itchy trigger said:

I would require an anti backflow device fitted at the branch into the main supply,  internal to protect from frost

for your own protection all hose taps should be supplied via one

I don't know hhow his original out door tap is plumbed but i'd just T into it just before the tap, so ur not altering anything in the house, put a stopcock/isolator on the new run so u can have it turned off and not the main tap.

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

I don't know how his original out door tap is plumbed but i'd just T into it just before the tap, so ur not altering anything in the house, put a stopcock/isolator on the new run so u can have it turned off and not the main tap.

its to stop dirty/stale water being syphoned back into the domestic water suppy

I realise that but his outside tap supply will either have it already, or most likely be in the tap itself, but he can just put a tap with a anti backflow on at far end, most taps come with it now.

Not really a big problem or even stick an anti backflow valve on after the T, not a idea breaker if its worth stick another tap in

i know stuck a flow return valve on my outside water in reverse so i can run my outside/burn water into my house supply if our private water supply ever runs out again, but only for an outhouse shower/wash machine.