Day light Foxing ?

Gerry78

Sure this has been covered before im waiting on my 222 coming through on my ticket but due to work shifts and family commitments my night time foxing will be few and far between wanted to ask forum does anyone have any tips for shooting foxes during the day going into late evening i know the best time is the wee small hours in middle of the night any information would be appreciated thanks forum ?

I shoot the majority of foxes these days...7 in the last week or two from high seats during the last hour and half before dark.   Get to know the 'runs' and set yourself up down wind and patience is a virtue.  Do can always then continue after dark with lamp or night vision.  Of course early morning crack of sawn is also a good time to catch them coming back in.

Any silage being cut needs covering as soon as the mower hits the grass whatver time of day.  A friend rang me late yesterday afternoon to say he had a fox following his tractor/mower as he was topping some pony paddocks.

Walker says true. Do a bit of recon and try to find any regular runs then find a good vantage point, sit, and wait. Most of my foxes fall over when there's enough light not to need a lamp these days.

I like to take a couple of those el-cheapo little pouches of cat food with me when I'm sitting up for Charlie. Empty a pouch by the base of a tree or some other 'known point' on the run and then make sure you know the distance to that spot from your position. If Charlie comes by he'll definitely stop to investigate this wonderfully smelly new food source. A fox standing still at a previously measured distance from you and the rifle really shouldn't make it home that night ;) 

Despite what some might say it's perfectly possible to call foxes in during daylight too. I got bored waiting for rooks last year in the middle of a hot sunny afternoon and dug my call out the bag and thought I'd give it a go ... The fox came up behind my hide unseen until he was so close that when I shot him I could actually see the plas-wad from my 32 grm #5 cartridge in the big hole in its chest.