treating pheasant pens

last year we lost a lot of poults with a form of toxicosis in our pens, we have cleared all the brambles and undergrowth ready for treating the ground and have been told that lime is the best treatment to kill the lavae.  anyone had this problem in their pens before and what did you use to cure it, lime or other chemicals .

regards steve.

U might have more problems in ur pen now u've cut down all ur cover.. Mightlead tomore tail pecking, predatation and stress??

Seemingly the gapes larvae like a high pH soil, so by spreading lime u could actually be encouraging gapes larve/eggs.

I don't think it makes any/much difference, i don't know of any big shoots that do it. In fact i've never heard of anyone doing it for decades now.

Far more important will be the usual things of stocking density, weather, stress, moving feeders/drinkers when ground gets muddy etc

Almost ALL poults will come with some level of disease already in them, but most diseases flourish when birds are stressed, if u can keep ur birds stress free and half decent weather they usually thrive

On 24/05/2018 at 19:11, CharlieT said:

Toxicosis is poisoning by a toxic substance, liming the pen is futile.

What you need to do is identify what they ate to cause it.

This ^^^^

Are you sure you didn’t have Hexamita rather than Toxicosis, hexi was very prevalent last year.

Edited by Paul223

On 26/05/2018 at 19:58, gizzard said:

you were right guys it was hexamita that the poults were diagnosed with , I just found the paperwork.  

steve.

Hexi doesn’t live long outside of the host, best single thing you can do to help prevent hexi and coxci is acidify your water! 

This is the stuff used for poultry production and works out far cheaper than the game specific version https://www.quillproductions.co.uk/products/nutrimix-20-litre

and litmus paper to set your ph to 4

or if you have money a Auto dosing pump

Edited by Paul223