battery issues

hi all,

I bought 2 12v12ah batteries from a recommended dealer and charged them each overnight as per the instructions and have used them on a flapper without issue but this weekend for the. first time I used them on a new magnet from shooting warehouse.

the first battery lasted maybe an hour, the magnet went very fast to begin with then settled to a good speed then partially stopped.

the second battery did almost the same but lasted maybe a bit longer but only 10-15 mins.

Both had been charged over night prior.

charger has charge coming through, I tested it on my tongue, won't do that again mind.

any ideas?

any good cheap recommended replacement batteries you can suggest?

thanks in advance, much appreciated

When I used a few of the smaller batteries I found after a number of charges they started to fail to hold the charge , now I use the large ones and that problem haven't happened up till now.

The large one I use now came off of a golfing buggy , second hand when I got , last all day and never have let me down , the down side to me is the weight , not to bad , but lugging it a long way you begin to notice it .

Last year when I went up the scrap yard for some wheel studs they had a load of dry cell batteries that came off mobility scooters , so if you have a car breakers yard near you, why not give them a ring .  

I use a 12 AH battery on either of  my rotary's and have no problems with around a 5 hour plus usage.

I would check the rotary motor when it slows to see how hot it is if its slightly warm then more than likely ok, if its pretty hot then suspect a motor fault in either the coils or binding up  in the gears or bearings.

3 hours ago, deny essex said:

I use a 12 AH battery on either of  my rotary's and have no problems with around a 5 hour plus usage.:good:

I would check the rotary motor when it slows to see how hot it is if its slightly warm then more than likely ok, if its pretty hot then suspect a motor fault in either the coils or binding up  in the gears or bearings.

I also Have no problems getting 5-6 hours (rotary/magnet) from my 12ah batteries, I also have 7ah battery and can get 4-5 hours on a full charge, OP what type of charger are you using?

44 minutes ago, old'un said:

I also Have no problems getting 5-6 hours (rotary/magnet) from my 12ah batteries, I also have 7ah battery and can get 4-5 hours on a full charge, OP what type of charger are you using?

just the standard one I bought from AA Decoys

3 hours ago, deny essex said:

I use a 12 AH battery on either of  my rotary's and have no problems with around a 5 hour plus usage.

thanks I will check next time out

Same thing here

New rotary and 12v 12ah battery , fully charged ( according to my charger) and ran only 2 hours approx ! I expected at least 5 hr.

Charger only puts out 600ma . and is fine with the little flapper battery.

Maybe not enough? maybe charger goes onto trickle too soon? May be battery a  dud !

I'll check motor next time for temperature.

AA sell 7ah batts with rotarys  ...L did not reckon that would be sufficient so went for the 12ah.