Amazed at accuracy of air rifle

Harnser

I bought a hw 95 off a member on here a few months back . I am new to air rifle shooting and have had a couple of outings on rabbits and rats around the farm with good success .  What really surprised me was how accurate the rifle is  at 30 yards . From a rested position I have been able to shoot a ragged one hole group very consistently.  I am not new to rifle shooting as I have owned many rim fire and centre fire rifles over the years but this air rifle has got to be the most consistently accurate I have ever owned .

harnser

13 minutes ago, Harnser said:

I bought a hw 95 off a member on here a few months back . I am new to air rifle shooting and have had a couple of outings on rabbits and rats around the farm with good success .  What really surprised me was how accurate the rifle is  at 30 yards . From a rested position I have been able to shoot a ragged one hole group very consistently.  I am not new to rifle shooting as I have owned many rim fire and centre fire rifles over the years but this air rifle has got to be the most consistently accurate I have ever owned .

harnser

To be fair you probably haven't shot at such short range with your other rifles, but that said within there limits air rifles are great, cheap to shoot quiet and fun ? 

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

harnser

Keep practising. You will be able to extend that range to 45 yards easily with practice. If you get the chance to extend further purely for targets you may surprise yourself. Under still conditions my Prosport will nail bottletops out to 60 yards on a perfect day.

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes they have .

When an air gun performs at such a level as to keep up with /or replace a .22 lr. Then they really have come of age. 

Good fun but not here yet giving away a lot of energy that reduces usuable range.  Air rifles will come and go in my cabinet but the Desmond will always be there. 

Still struggling to see what Air Rifle can "keep up" with a .22lr? Until you find one that throws 40gr of lead at 1300 fps and weighs about the same as the misses Handbag then you are still wide of the mark. As for noise - all you hear with subs is the click of the firing pin striking the cartridge.

12 hours ago, Harnser said:

harnser

I have found my own HW95 to be unexpectedly accurate at these sorts of ranges, you have to keep in mind these are recoiling springers and yet what we routinely expect even cheap pneumatics to do can often be accomplished by certain springers straight out of the box. 

To temper this I will also mention that by no means all spring guns are this capable, even famous and well recognised brands can at times fall woefully short in  the accuracy department. I have owned super accurate Original 45, HW80/90/95 but had rather indifferent HW35, BSA Airsporter, BSA Lightning and a downright useless Original 35 ! 

If you ever get the time and a still day try extending the range with your accurate springers, it can be surprising the tightish groups that can be shot with some recoilers, I once owned a .sub 12 ft lbs .22 HW90 Euro which shot golf ball size groups at ranges I wouldn't dream of tackling rabbits with such guns. 

Edited by Hamster

What’s the longest terminal range I should be shooting rabbits at . I have the rifle spot on at 30 yards andn one mil dot gives me about two inches high . The rifle is a .22 andn I am more than capable of taking head shots at this range . Incidentally I took two rooks today on young sugar beet at about 30 yards ,killed them both instantly .

harnser

Edited by Harnser

31 minutes ago, Harnser said:

What’s the longest terminal range I should be shooting rabbits at . I have the rifle spot on at 30 yards andn one mil dot gives me about two inches high . The rifle is a .22 andn I am more than capable of taking head shots at this range . Incidentally I took two rooks today on young sugar beet at about 30 yards ,killed them both instantly .

harnser

the best thing to do is see how you and the rifle perform at 35 & 40 yards, if your still accurate at those ranges then your good, being .22 your pellet will drop off much quicker than .177.

as you push the range little errors get really punished with an air rifle so plenty of practice and knowing your range and mill dots and you'll be good to go.

The general rule those who have practiced .worked out the best pellet .have a range finder and know all their aim points for different distances and can read the wind .

Is 40 yds for .22 and 50 for .177 

This can some times be pushed a bit  but it really is taking a lot of skill to make kill shots first time every time and a dose of luck .

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

harnser

If you can stick the pellet into the target accuratey then it's good to 50 yards. Some stretch it further but sub 12 ftlbs I'd say 50 regardless of .22. Or .177.

11 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Still struggling to see what Air Rifle can "keep up" with a .22lr? Until you find one that throws 40gr of lead at 1300 fps and weighs about the same as the misses Handbag then you are still wide of the mark. As for noise - all you hear with subs is the click of the firing pin striking the cartridge.

You can't use a 22lr around buildings, Bruno. And a beginner needs to start somewhere and a springer, imho, is the best way. (I do love my 22lr though :) )

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

harnser

The range that you are accurate and consistent at. This will depend on your stance and also change over time with practice. Only take shots that you know you can nail and practice, practice, practice.

The HW95 is dead-on up to 45 yards. Beyond that it's a bit of hail Mary to be honest and I wouldn't take the shot.

Where you can or cannot use a .22lr was not the point of my post DC177 - I was simply questioning the validity of the comment that a modern Air Rifle can "keep up" with a .22lr. As for shooting around buildings - if you only had one Rifle and that was a .22lr then .22 Shorts. .22 CB or even .22 Shot Shells are available. My main point however is that no "normal" Air Rifle can come anywhere near the performance of a .22lr - at the most basic level you need to accept that the volume of air required to propel a lead projectile equivalent to that of a .22lr makes the size of the pressure vessel impractical if you need a decent shot count - and for what? A .22lr delivers over 100ft/.lb for around 13p/round - less if you buy in bulk.

So why then is my mate so impressed with my .25 cal fac that he wants one him self and is gonna sell a competition 1022 .22 lr (over £1500 ) worth of blistering accuracy . To fund the airgun ???? 

Cos he is mental .? 

Cos he is bored ? 

No because he see how effective and accurate they are. (Short and light as a rimmy (er yes mine is ) and as quiet 

But the air gun is safer and can take shots in directions around a perm that the .22 lr cannot. (Or shouldnt )

Ps . You do know there are air guns that can totally out perform any .22 lr in terms of accuracy  power and range ? 

Ok they are big and loud .but they exist.

And in the uk too .

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Where you can or cannot use a .22lr was not the point of my post DC177 - I was simply questioning the validity of the comment that a modern Air Rifle can "keep up" with a .22lr. As for shooting around buildings - if you only had one Rifle and that was a .22lr then .22 Shorts. .22 CB or even .22 Shot Shells are available. My main point however is that no "normal" Air Rifle can come anywhere near the performance of a .22lr - at the most basic level you need to accept that the volume of air required to propel a lead projectile equivalent to that of a .22lr makes the size of the pressure vessel impractical if you need a decent shot count - and for what? A .22lr delivers over 100ft/.lb for around 13p/round - less if you buy in bulk.

You're not wrong. It is undeniable that the power to cost/weight/accuracy ratio with a rimfire makes it impossible for even the best of FAC rated air guns to "keep up" but the counter argument being offered here is that even the sub sonics power is all too often way too much for many applications. In other words "keep up" is what you make of it, mine gets less use than my FAC air gun simply because for me more often than not it's enough gun whereas the rimmie could in fact be a liability. 

I get Bruno’s point and my 22lr is my rifle of choice for the bunnies. It’s lighter, hits harder and rounds are cheap as chips. But technology has moved on a lot. My R10 can’t match my 22lr but at the top end of the market there are some valid alternatives. 

Who can account for peoples choices Stu? I have friends that like to drive old cars but that doesn't mean they can match modern ones - added to this maybe your mates 1022 doesn't cycle subs very well - most don't. And I have no doubt that there are some Airguns that can match the humble .22 but they are not run of the mill guns and if you were to spend that much time on an lr imagine what you could produce. The .22lr is known for it's efficiency and accuracy and is most likely the most common round in use for vermin control worldwide - maybe all these users are mental or bored or just maybe they accept the fact that the .22 is king where small vermin control is the name of the game.